mash now boil later?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

natefitz

Reaction score
So, ran into some delays today, and now I don't have time to boil until later tonight. I just finished mashing and I'm going to keep my unboiled wort in a bucket for a few hours until I can get back to it later.
Has anyone done this?
Anything I should be concerned about?
Is it wrong to blow off a 1-year-old's birthday party to finish a brew?
Thanks

It may end up more attenuated then you wanted unless you did a mash-out to 168F+ to denature the enzymes.

In terms of the B-day party was it your first born?

GT

Depending on how long it will be before the boil, if it will be more than 4-5 hours I would do a mash out at least to denature the enzimes.

natefitz said:
I just finished mashing and I'm going to keep my unboiled wort in a bucket for a few hours until I can get back to it later.
Has anyone done this?
Often, sometimes as long as 24 hours. No problem; as others have said, a mashout's a good idea.
Is it wrong to blow off a 1-year-old's birthday party to finish a brew?
Depends how much you like the parents...the one-year old won't know it's his/her birthday, and won't care or remember if you're there.

It's only OK if you got the wort above 170 DegF or so. You've got to stop the enzyme activity or you will have a DMS problem on your hands and you will get a heavy corn flavor. I speak from experience. :(

Get it chilled down to pitching temps and then store it as if it were fermenting (temp control, no light) and you'll be fine for a day or two.

And if this party has been going for a year now, don't you think you could steal away for a day or two??? That's a long time to party without a brewing break...:)

Latest posts

Back