Mash Lauter Tun size?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2pugbrews

Reaction score
I'm getting my equipment ready for my first AG brew. For my MLT I have a choice between a 48 qt Gott rectangular cooler and a 30 qt Gott rectangular. Which would be better for 5 gal batches. I'll probably never do a 10 gal batch. BTW, I'm following Flyguy's parts list & instructions.

I started with a 5 gallon (20 qt) cylindrical cooler and it worked fine for everything up to about 1.070 in starting gravity. I now have a 10 gallon cooler and can do every size brew I would need in it, regardless of gravity and mash thickness. I would go with the bigger mash tun because the extra space is handy for when you do high gravity brews.

IMHO it's always better to have extra space and not need it then to need extra space and not have it.

30 qt. is only 7.5 gal. go for the 48 qt.

48qt... you never know when you will want to do a big brew, 10 gallon batch, or multiple infusion step mash... get the 48...

Back