Mash In and Sparge H20

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BOYDBrew

Reaction score
Using BrewSmith for the first time.
For a 14.88lb grain bill it says to use...
4.6 gallons of H20 @ 163 Degrees.... Steep @ 152 Degrees...
Then Sparge with 4.2 Gallons @168 Degrees...
Sounds right to you guys and gals?
Going to Brew my first IPA today!!!
:ban:

One last quick question!!
when you batch sparge... how long do you let the sparge water sit in MLT till you drain?
or is it a constant flow of wort?

When batch sparging, I add the sparge water to the grains and stir for two to three minutes. Then I recirculate until the wort is clear and then drain or pump over to the kettle. You don't need to let the sparge water sit in the mash tun with the grains for a long time, you just need to make sure you stir it up really well to rinse all the goodies from the grains.

The temperature of your strike water is determined by the amount of water per pound of grain, and the temperature of the grain. I assume that you put those figures into brewsmith.....from that point the sparge I would split into two parts. After you vorlouf and drain your first runnings, I would put half of my sparge water in and stir the crap out of it. Let it set 10 minutes, vorlouf and drain....repeat with the second half of the sparge water. I cut my sparge time down to only a couple of minutes and my efficiency dropped off. May have been coincidence but it happened.

When batch sparging, I add the sparge water to the grains and stir for two to three minutes. Then I recirculate until the wort is clear and then drain or pump over to the kettle. You don't need to let the sparge water sit in the mash tun with the grains for a long time, you just need to make sure you stir it up really well to rinse all the goodies from the grains.

+1. Those water figures sound about right, but measure your first runnings to make sure that you have the right amount for your second runnings.

batch sparging is super easy. Drain your first runnings, start them on your burner, mix in sparge water, mix the hell out of it, grab yourself a beer, come back in 5-10 and vorlouf (recirculate) and then drain it

Back