Mash in a bucket with a keggle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are you still going to use just 120 volts? If so I would think you will have to insulate the keg and cover it.
Can you just cut a piece of foam to fit it?

cooldood said:
Are you still going to use just 120 volts? If so I would think you will have to insulate the keg and cover it.
Can you just cut a piece of foam to fit it?

Was thinking the insulation is a must.

I am trying to decide the same thing. I love your MIB system and was going to recreate it with a keg. I was trying to think of the best way to do it.
Couple of options I have thought of are.

Build a wooden box say 24 x 24 and 36" tall. The box would have one horizontal shelf. If the top looked like a privy you could lower your keg into the box and then fill the rest of the void with insulation. This would also give you a horizontal wood surface to to mount a door/ cover you could close when trying to get to boil.
The bottom compartment would give you access to the pump and so forth.

The other thought I had would be to use a 55 gallon drum and do the same as above. I could just leave it in my basement and make " trash can beer ". I guess that makes option one Outhouse beer LOL.

I may get a insulating blanket or something of the sort to wrap around the keggle for the mash portion.

Added a keggle, worked flawlessly without any type of insulation. I'm sure that won't be the case in the winter, but, I'm not worried with 2 heat sources.

Back