Mash hops and no boil for some hazy sessionable beers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Kenmoron

Reaction score
I came across a youtube channel and found a guy that added hops to the mash, did a quick pasteurization step, and then fermented. His tasting video seemed pretty impressive:

I feel like I've seen some topics regarding no boil NEIPA's somewhere but can't seem to find them. I figure it would turn out more like a NEPA than a NEIPA. Has anyone done anymore experimenting with this technique?

1 gallon Recipe was:
2 Row 80%
flaked oat 20%

Mash hops:
0.6 oz (3.5 IBUs) Lemon Drop (5.3% AA) @ 30 min steep
0.4 oz (7.5 IBUs) Galaxy (17% AA) @ 30 min steep

Dry hops:
.50 oz Galaxy
.30 oz Equanot

Crossmyloof Real Ale yeast

IslandLizard

Progressive Brewing
Staff member
Mod
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Mash hops are a total waste of hops. Extraction is minimal and whatever flavor/aroma you got gets boiled off.

If you want a short 30' boil, with or without a bittering hop, do it, it's usually fine (don't use Pilsner Malt).

Add your flavor/aroma hops during whirlpool/hopstand at reduced temps, and another dose or 2 of dry hops in the fermenter.

OP
Kenmoron

Kenmoron

Reaction score
Mash hops are a total waste of hops. Extraction is minimal and whatever flavor/aroma you got gets boiled off.

If you want a short 30' boil, with or without a bittering hop, do it, it's usually fine (don't use Pilsner Malt).

Add your flavor/aroma hops during whirlpool/hopstand at reduced temps, and another dose or 2 of dry hops in the fermenter.
He mashed hops WITHOUT a boil. So I would assume many of the extracted oils would not get wasted and remain in the wort.

sborz22

Here for a SMaSH'ing good time!
Reaction score
He’s a fun channel to watch. He tries a lot of strange things.

Ninoid

Reaction score
I try this few times. Beer can be good but you need much more hops and self life is up to one month. I give up from this method. Try 5 minutes boil and all hops in hopstand up to 30 minutes. Much better.

Brooothru

Reaction score
I came across a youtube channel and found a guy that added hops to the mash, did a quick pasteurization step, and then fermented. His tasting video seemed pretty impressive:

I feel like I've seen some topics regarding no boil NEIPA's somewhere but can't seem to find them. I figure it would turn out more like a NEPA than a NEIPA. Has anyone done anymore experimenting with this technique?

1 gallon Recipe was:
2 Row 80%
flaked oat 20%

Mash hops:
0.6 oz (3.5 IBUs) Lemon Drop (5.3% AA) @ 30 min steep
0.4 oz (7.5 IBUs) Galaxy (17% AA) @ 30 min steep

Dry hops:
.50 oz Galaxy
.30 oz Equanot

Crossmyloof Real Ale yeast

If you're interested in trying a no-boil recipe, here's a link to one on the Omega Yeast website:

https://omegayeast.com/raw-neipa-with-gulo-ale

Looks interesting if you are looking to experiment. I'm not quite that adventurous right now. Let us know if you try it.

Brooo Brother