Mash hopping ???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i mashed hopped a double ipa that had 16 oz hops in 5 gallons - 6 were dry hops. I did it just cuz i wanted to spread hops across the whole process. From what I understand, mash hopping is almost a waste and in a regular IPA i'd save the hops for the boil. I believe in a bittering addition and then a bunch of late hops, even flameout.

IMHO, you're going to boil off all of the that flavor and aroma you get from steeping in the mash water anyway. I've done both mash and first wort hops and wasn't able to tell the difference between the two. However, they both seem to impart a mellower bittering than the typical 60 minute addition. I've found the difference much more apparent in a huge IPA with a 2 oz + bittering addition like mandoman mentions above.

I haven't done it, but one of the guys at OBC did a fair amount of research & decided it was a waste of hops. The mash isn't hot enough to dissolve the bittering compounds & you lose the flavor & aroma in the boil.

Thanks for the input. I think I will save the hops and do the "continuous hop additions" method, that seens to be a big hit here.
I'm thinking a fairly big beer maybe 1.075 -1.080 OG
Loads of MO pale ale malt
Loads of honey malt
A touch of 60L
Maybe a touch of carafoam or pills
Simcoe and Amarillo hops w/ continuous hop additions.
Mash hot 155 and ferment cold 60-62 w/ Wlp001
Maybe even split the 12 gallons and pitch a Frisco Lager Yeast in 1/2
Maybe pull the first gallon of runnings from mash tun and boil HARD for 15-20 min to caramelize. I don't know, I am just thinking outloud here.
Sounds like a fun recipe to develop.
Cheers
JJ

Do the pellet hops just get put on top of the grains while you are mashing for 60 mins or whatever? Or do you mix them in with the grain before you let it rest for 60 min?

A couple days ago i read in "Radical Brewing" that traditionally, hops were added to the MLT on certain styles (can't remember which) that were never boiled. The hops added some flavor/aroma and helped preserve the finished beer. Even though the hops act as a preservative the beer must have been consumed quickly.

Do the pellet hops just get put on top of the grains while you are mashing for 60 mins or whatever? Or do you mix them in with the grain before you let it rest for 60 min?

Sorry to resurect an old thread, but I didn't want to start a new one. Interested in the answer to this. I have a recipe which calls for mash hopping, and I'm wondering when I add the hops to the mash?

Back