Mash Hopping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morkin

Reaction score
Quick question. If you are mash hopping, say a Berliner Weisse, what time do you need to leave the hops in or when do you add them. Would 15 minutes be long enough to mash hop a BW?

I really think mash hopping is pointless, but there are some people who seem to think it benefits the bitterness balance in the beer. Because of the temperature in the mash and not being high enough for isomerization, I really don't think you're getting much from them other than a higher cost. Unless you think the mash smelling good is worth it.

I've heard that Berliner Weisse was only mash-hopped because it wasn't boiled.

Either way...I wouldn't add them for more than 30 minutes.

The only hopping I do in my BW is added to the decoction and boiled for 15 minutes there for utilization. I only do that because I don't boil the wort after mash.

Other than that, yeah I'd agree that mash hopping is pretty much a waste of hops.

-chuck

Hmm, interesting. The only reason I did a mash hop for 15 minutes is because while heating up my sparge water, I ran out of propane, and couldn't heat the wort to a 15 minute boil.

So will my Berliner Weisse be overly sweet then if I couldn't get the IBU's necessary out of the hops?

it should be fine, BW's dont need much bitterness and IIRC >180F you will get some isomerization, its just much slower than boiling. the sourness should be more than enough to mask any residual sweetness. if its any help, I did a 10%ABV braggot fermented w/ brett that was only dry hopped and the funk definitely covered any sweetness.

Back