mash help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m0808

Reaction score
how would i go about my mash. i am doing a biab with a 7.5gal pot/turkey fryer set up. i have only done 2 all grain so far. i usually heat my strike water and just run my turkey fryer for a min or 2 if needed to keep my temps good.

Ingredients
Amount Item Type % or IBU
5.00 lb Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 50.0 %
3.00 lb Wheat, Flaked (1.6 SRM) Grain 30.0 %
1.00 lb Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 10.0 %
1.00 lb White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM) Grain 10.0 %
0.50 oz Cascade [6.90%] (45 min) Hops 10.0 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [6.90%] (10 min) Hops 3.9 IBU
0.18 oz Orange Peel, Bitter (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
0.18 oz Orange Peel, Sweet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
0.35 oz Coriander Seed (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs Belgian Wit Ale (White Labs #WLP400) Yeast-Wheat

With that much flaked grain you might need to add a couple handfulls of rice hulls (which should be rinsed first).

Other than that i dunno what to tell you, other than to relate to you that i find it helps to plug a recipe into brewtarget (free) and see what it thinks of my planned mash.

That, and when i was doing BIAB 1 gallon batches, i used to do a 90 minute mash at 150ish and then slowly raise the temperature to 170 or so before pulling out the grain bag.

thanks for the reply. i still have lots to learn. do i need to use rice hulls with biab. i thought that they were just to help with stuck sparge.

thanks for the reply. i still have lots to learn. do i need to use rice hulls with biab. i thought that they were just to help with stuck sparge.

to tell the truth i just don't know. I've never actually used rice hulls or for that matter flaked grain.

a stuck sparge (never happened to me) is when the mash has so much fine particulate that it doesn't drain through. In general with BIAB you should not be squeezing the grain bag to get your mash to complete because it could result in a tannic brew (the debate rages).

m0808 said:

I think it would be pretty tough to give yourself a stuck sparge with BIAB. If you don't like squeezing grains, you can just jostle them to let out any pockets of trapped sparge water. I think BIABers generally grind as fine as they want because stuck sparges can't happen.

I don't know exactly what you have for a setup, but here is how I do it.

Using a 5 gallon paint strainer bag you can mash like you would traditionally, except in a 7.5 gallon pot.

Then, after the mash, if you have a 5 gallon pot (such as from stovetop brewing days), you can take the bag and put it in the 5 gallon pot and pour sparge water over the grains. When the pot is almost full, stir the grain and let it sit for a minute. Lift the grain bag out and dump the sparge water into your 7.5 gallon tank. Repeat the sparging until you reach your desired starting boil volume.

Hopefully this makes sense. I've just gotten my first few 7.5 gallon brews fermenting in the last couple months but have had good results with this method. I am still dialing in my updated system but get about 70-75% efficiency even with the so-so crush from my LHBS.

Back