Mash and boil now, boil later.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ernestmyname

Reaction score
I had a family emergency come up and it has put me in a bind with my work schedule. I have two short evenings to get a batch mashed, boiled, and in the fermenter.

What is the best way to handle this? I plan to bring the wort to a boil and chill it before I store it for the next evening.

Would it be beneficial to keep the wort in the kegerator until the boil? Would it be beneficial to rack the wort after the 24 hour storage and before the 1hr boil?

Any input would be appreciated. There are tons of threads about whether or not it is a good idea to wait to perform the boil but none that cater to the best way to do it if it must be done.

I think if your going to boil before going into the fermenter there wouldnt be a need to boil after the mash. Just added time I would think. If this is wrong please someone chime in and let me know but I don't see the need to boil twice, you'll be killing off anything harmful on the second boil...

I would collect runnings and bring it to 200 degrees to pastuerize, simply put the lid on and boil the following night. Bringing it up to temp is key to kill the lacto bugs present in the mash runnings. I wouldnt bother chilling, key is to heat it before the lag time, unless you are trying to make a sour...as in "sour mash" burbon wiskey.

It sounds like I'll go that route unless someone chimes in otherwise.

I was planning to brew Saturday but ended up throwing my starter in the fridge on Friday. The yeast were still active when I put it in the fridge. Should I feed them again or just pitch it like it is? I'm planning to pitch them Wednesday.

Back