Märzen Marzen/Oktoberfest Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paps

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
s-04/s-05 cake
Yeast Starter
-
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
cake
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
45 @66-f
Additional Fermentation
n/a
Tasting Notes
Malty,malty, and malty. Suprizingly dry finish.A LOT of body & creamy mouthfeel.
GRAINS

10-lbs Munich malt (Avangard i beleive was the namebrand)

HOPS

1-OZ Hallertau @ 60-min boil mark
1-OZ Hallertau @ 0-min boil mark/flame out

WATER

4-US gallon strike water held @ 150-f for 90 minutes
4-US gallon sparge also @ 150-f for 30 minutes
(my initial sac rest was 90 minutes due to running out of propane on brewday, had planned on just doing a 60 minute one,YMMV. Thank Tesla for electric brewing)

60 minute boil
I personally no chill which pushes the IBU`s up a little.
Chill if you want, don't if you don't. YMMV.

6-week primary at low to mid 60`s F.
I used a yeast cake that was a mix os s-04 / s-05
mostly s-05 by this batch and would use just s-05 in future versions of this beer.

If you have the means to, keg/force carb this beer on CO2 and after reaching the desired volume, hit it with nitro/beergas @ 40-psi.

Pours pretty foamy due to nitro with a beatiful cascading off-white/amber head.Malt dominated aroma and to nobodys suprise, also tastes malt forward.

Have done this one a few times now and i preffer it to several craft brewery versions of Marzens/Oktoberffests.(including popular commercial examples)
My new favorite S.M.A.S.H. BEER.

nice...I love Munich malt
was thinking about a Munich/Tettnang smash instead of my usual Altbier.

GRAINS

10-lbs Munich malt (Avangard i beleive was the namebrand)

HOPS

1-OZ Hallertau @ 60-min boil mark
1-OZ Hallertau @ 0-min boil mark/flame out

WATER

4-US gallon strike water held @ 150-f for 90 minutes
4-US gallon sparge also @ 150-f for 30 minutes
(my initial sac rest was 90 minutes due to running out of propane on brewday, had planned on just doing a 60 minute one,YMMV. Thank Tesla for electric brewing)

60 minute boil
I personally no chill which pushes the IBU`s up a little.
Chill if you want, don't if you don't. YMMV.

6-week primary at low to mid 60`s F.
I used a yeast cake that was a mix os s-04 / s-05
mostly s-05 by this batch and would use just s-05 in future versions of this beer.

If you have the means to, keg/force carb this beer on CO2 and after reaching the desired volume, hit it with nitro/beergas @ 40-psi.

Pours pretty foamy due to nitro with a beatiful cascading off-white/amber head.Malt dominated aroma and to nobodys suprise, also tastes malt forward.

Have done this one a few times now and i preffer it to several craft brewery versions of Marzens/Oktoberffests.(including popular commercial examples)
My new favorite S.M.A.S.H. BEER.

Are you using Munich 1 or Munich 2 ( light or medium roast) ?

Are you using Munich 1 or Munich 2 ( light or medium roast) ?

I doubt you'll get an answer. It's a 5-year-old thread and the OP's been given the boot from HBT.

I will take a stab at your question, and say that it's likely Munich 1, as the darker Munich 2 has too low of a diastatic power (only around 25L) to use as a single base malt. Not enough DP to self-convert.

If you brew it, report back, as an ale variant of Festbier sounds interesting.

Thanks for replying! I'm making the transition to all grain. If you did use Munich 2 as the base malt what would actually happen?

Back