Marris otter blend v. reg marris otter?

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

jmill

Reaction score
I went to the LHBS today to pick up enough ingredients to last my next few brews. One of the main reasons for the visit was a bag of marris otter.

On their website, it is advertised as just Muttons Marris Otter. I got home and noticed the bag says Marris Otter Blend. Same thing as the marris otter everyone else uses? Or am I going to have to compensate for this being a blend?

Oginme

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
It will be fine. Most distributors usually sell blended cultivars as 'English pale ale' versus a straight 'Maris Otter' which is kilned in the same way. The flavor should be pretty close.

If you have questions on what else they used, I would recommend sending an e-mail to Muntons or the distributor asking the percentage of MO and what other cultivars of barley may have been added.

stonebrewer

Invented the IPL
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I think they blend it to reduce haze...and because MO is harder to get. May be like coffee and other commodities. When I buy Kona coffee, I buy 100%, but there are a lot of Kona blends out there. You probably got half pale ale and half MO...

Wayne1

Reaction score
There are many malting houses that offer Maris Otter malted barley. I lot will depend on who the wholesaler is that your LHBS deal with. I will take a guess and say they mostly buy from LD Carlson. The only English maltster offered from them is Munton. They list 100% Maris Otter as well as a blend. Perhaps the blend is less expensive through them.

Brewers Supply Group has both Crisp and Simpson's 100% Maris Otter. Crisp also offer Gleneagles Floor Malted Maris Otter.

Country Malt Group has Bairds and Fawcett. Both offer Maris Otter malts.

I use Warminster floor malted Maris Otter which is distributed by Cargill.

There is plenty of 100% Maris Otter out there. You just have to research where you buy it from.

OP
jmill

jmill

Reaction score
There are many malting houses that offer Maris Otter malted barley. I lot will depend on who the wholesaler is that your LHBS deal with. I will take a guess and say they mostly buy from LD Carlson. The only English maltster offered from them is Munton. They list 100% Maris Otter as well as a blend. Perhaps the blend is less expensive through them.

Brewers Supply Group has both Crisp and Simpson's 100% Maris Otter. Crisp also offer Gleneagles Floor Malted Maris Otter.

Country Malt Group has Bairds and Fawcett. Both offer Maris Otter malts.

I use Warminster floor malted Maris Otter which is distributed by Cargill.

There is plenty of 100% Maris Otter out there. You just have to research where you buy it from.
Thanks for all the info. I'll use up the bag I purchased and do some more research before buying another bag of MO.

Latest posts