Marmalade and Beer

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Tand

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I'm wondering if anyone has any experience using marmalade in a beer? I'm playing with the idea of either a Pale Ale, Double IPA, or Rye IPA, and would like to use marmalade. We make it every year at home, so it wouldn't have set, and would be fresh. I was thinking add it towards the end of the boil, but also potentially to the secondary.

The marmalade we make is quite citrusy (lemon, grapefruit, orange) and so I think a reasonable hop presence and strong malt backbone would really compliment it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks

Reaction score
I use marmalade instead of dried bitter orange when I make a wit. I put it in at end of the boil. 1-2 tablespoons in 5 gals of the highest quality marmalade you can fine gives noticeable but not overwhelming orange flavor and aroma.

OP
T

Tand

Reaction score
I use marmalade instead of dried bitter orange when I make a wit. I put it in at end of the boil. 1-2 tablespoons in 5 gals of the highest quality marmalade you can fine gives noticeable but not overwhelming orange flavor and aroma.
That's not as much as I was expecting! How do you find it in a wit? I was expecting to pour a fair amount in!

Reaction score
At that rate in a wit it gives a different bitter orange flavor and aroma. It complements the coriander. I still have the end of my most recent keg, about 3 months old. The orange has faded as has everything else but it is still there.

But a wit is a light delicate style. You likely need more in something hoppy.

Crohnnie

Reaction score
Going to try this. Got some whiskey orange marmalade. I'm gonna go all out and put half the jar in and it's gonna be great

Reaction score
Does it say "gelling agent, pectin" or "gelling agent pectin." Pectin wouldn't be a problem but the gelling agent - who can say.

I wouldn't worry about it.

Reaction score
Typically a Wit is 50/50 ish unmalted wheat and Pils malt. I usually add some carapils and some flaked oats ~ 5-10 percent each. SG 1.045 to 1.050. Spiced with 1 tsp ground INDIAN coriander and bitter orange. I use 2 Tbls of orange marmalade. I put a little ginger in mine. The spicing part of the style.

Use a specific Witbier yeast.

Crohnnie

Reaction score
Typically a Wit is 50/50 ish unmalted wheat and Pils malt. I usually add some carapils and some flaked oats ~ 5-10 percent each. SG 1.045 to 1.050. Spiced with 1 tsp ground INDIAN coriander and bitter orange. I use 2 Tbls of orange marmalade. I put a little ginger in mine. The spicing part of the style.

Use a specific Witbier yeast.
That sounds really good