Marks II Keg Washer mod

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mongoose33

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Finally decided I wanted that keg washer, so I ordered it from MoreBeer when they had a sale.

I read and read about it, including the fitting that allows one to connect to the beer out post on the keg. Part of the discussion I read was whether to even do that, or whether it made sense to do them both--I wanted to run cleaning solution through both posts, even though the gas tube is short, why not?

I decided to set it up to do both, so I went to the home store and bought a plastic barbed tee fitting. Two bucks. I made up a couple of quick disconnects, one each for in and out. I connected it all to the barbed tee, then used a 2" piece of tubing to connect to the supplied fitting.

Pics below. I could not believe how fast this cleaned the kegs. Both had the usual gunk on the bottom. After five minutes there was no discernable dirt left inside of the kegs. I let them run another five minutes, then rinsed them out. I dumped the cleaning solution (which was pretty groty by then), rinsed the platform base, then filled with Star-San solution. I hooked up each keg again, and ran Star-San through them for a couple minutes. Star San foams up pretty good, but after only a couple minutes running it through I'm comfortable they're both cleaned and sanitized.

I'm sold.

kegwasher1.jpg

kegwasher2.jpg

Once again I'm on a thread with Mongoose...I just set this up as well. Pretty slick. Also used that handy carb cap to connect my keg lines and clean those as well. I love this thing.

I was originally going to make this a DIY project but I was in my LHBS and asked them what they were charging for that box sitting on the top shelf collecting dust and they offered it to me for 40% off as he wanted to move it. $65 out the door. Could barely buy a pump for that.

EDIT - not sure why it's showing this pic sideways. It was taken and shows on my computer the right way.

20170115_001728.jpg

Back