Marking Bottles Without Labels

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dbrewster

Reaction score
Hi All,
First time poster and new to home brewing. Anyways, I was wondering if anyone has used a marker/pen to label their bottles? Stick on labels look great, but I don’t want to have to clean them off. I was looking for a marker that can write on bottles, but can be easily removed with a damp towel or something similar. I don’t plan on creating any “Artistic” drawings on the bottles, just want to write the kind of brew and date bottled. Any suggestions as to type of marker or brand that work well would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I'll sometimes cut up a sheet of paper into smallish rectangles, snip a slit down the center, and make hang tags. But, a sharpie on the cap is easier.

I second on the metal caps and a sharpie, and I’ve also done the little piece of masking tape.
Usually I’ll just abbreviate AA amber ale,OF Octoberfest...etc. you’ll get sick of writing on 50+ bottles

You could just go old school and use a grease pencil and write directly on the glass. Stays on pretty well until you want to take it off with acetone.

I use the solid colored circle stickers and stick them on the top of the cap. I have a little marker board on my beer fridge and write the beer style and information in the corresponding sticker color. Before that I did the sharpie on the bottle cap as well

Sharpie on glass cleans off with an easy wipe of a rag and some rubbing alcohol (isopropanol). Not sure how readable the marker would be on a brown bottle, and I haven't tried removing silver sharpie, but I would guess it likewise removes easily with alcohol.

I always did the Sharpie Cap Code thing. Didn't want to deal with applying and later removing labels. Worked fine - I don't think I ever had a case where I forgot/confused the cap codes...

Cheers!

you can get fancy and twist some copper wire to hang on the bottle neck. then a flattened pc of metal with the style written on it.

or just sharpie the style on the cardboard box you keep the bottles in. btw, a box of canned 'air' fits 12 beer bottles with perfect cardboard dividers.

I use the solid colored circle stickers and stick them on the top of the cap. I have a little marker board on my beer fridge and write the beer style and information in the corresponding sticker color. Before that I did the sharpie on the bottle cap as well
What if you take beer to a friend's house?

What if you take beer to a friend's house?
Masking tape. Or if I’m dropping off a sampler pack I just write up a quick menu and take it to the carrier. Blue- pils 5.2% Red- lager 4.5%, brown- porter etc etc. I bring a couple cases to my football draft and holiday stuff throughout the year and just print one off since my handwriting is a nightmare

When I started, I had the same question. My crafty SWMBO chucked a package of window markers at me. Certain colors worked better than others but do exactly what you're looking to do.

Sharpie on cap is my go to, but I’m thinking of using wire or twine and hanging labels... could make for a nice gift.

It’s more expensive, but the tape that comes out of a label maker sticks well to dry glass but does not leave any residue and can be easily peeled off.

Sharpie on glass cleans off with an easy wipe of a rag and some rubbing alcohol (isopropanol). Not sure how readable the marker would be on a brown bottle, and I haven't tried removing silver sharpie, but I would guess it likewise removes easily with alcohol.
Oh, I have a silver sharpie, let me try that real quick and see what happens.

Edit: really easy to read on a dark bottle, couldn't remove it with water an abrasive sponge, but it wiped right off with Isopropyl Alcohol (99%).

Last edited:
I also mark the cap: just with a number identifying the batch.

All great suggestions. For white wine the sharpie is the easiest and comes right off with alcohol, but beers and red wines the dark bottle makes it hard to read. The metallic ink/paint pens work great and look great also, especially if you have someone who can write nicely/artistically. I'm not sure how easy that is to get off but I'm sure it's not difficult on a hard smooth surface like glass. For more decorative options we have The Everything Label that's removable, reusable, washable and erasable

I'm a noob, but I'm just color coding with crown caps. Apple gets green, black raspberry gets purple, cherry gets red, etc. Give-away's get printed mailing labels.

I keg now, but I used to mark the caps as well.
What I was doing for a while was sticking on plain paper labels with a jello mix. The labels stick well and wash off like a dream. I still use this method for wine labels.
The color of the jello also bleeds through the label to give some nice effects.

Last edited:
Ya, the type that have pics for the season and stick to windows.
That sounds like a great way to label your creation! Good idea.

Ya, the type that have pics for the season and stick to windows.
That sounds like a great way to label your creation!

that's exactly what i thought of! lol, those two link sell them by like 42"x120" rolls, blank frosting stick on labels.

aparently their called static glass clings, the oposite of dryer sheets! ;)

Hi All,
First time poster and new to home brewing. Anyways, I was wondering if anyone has used a marker/pen to label their bottles? Stick on labels look great, but I don’t want to have to clean them off. I was looking for a marker that can write on bottles, but can be easily removed with a damp towel or something similar. I don’t plan on creating any “Artistic” drawings on the bottles, just want to write the kind of brew and date bottled. Any suggestions as to type of marker or brand that work well would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Just use different color bottle caps for each brew.

I bought round stickers from an office supply store to write on and stick on the caps.

I'll pitch in because no one else said it-basic paper and a glue stick.

Office stores sell them in bulk for us teachers (thank God!). Anyway, I print my labels on an inkjet, so they run a bit when wet. You can write in sharpie or print on a laser printer (to avoid the watercolor effect from condensation), cut them out to size and use the glue stick to paste 'em on. Comes right off in the wash. And then you can recycle/mulch the paper if so inclined.

I bought round stickers from an office supply store to write on and stick on the caps.

Yup -- buy the 3/4" round sticker (Avery #4221) and go to Avery.com to design your bottle cap label. I use these for every batch and it only takes a few minutes to design and print once you have done a few. Very easy to ID bottles in cases or six-pack holders.

If you want a bottle label, I have found that Avery #5163 makes a nice label that is easily removed with a short hot water soak.

Example of bottle cap label with lot # (Batch 46 and bottling date)

Old Buckeye bottle top.PNG

When I bottled exclusively, I had a dry erase board I attached magnets to. I would write the beer's information on it and put the cap I used for that batch on the magnet. Genius, I know. Now that I keg, the white board doesn't get the use it did before. Not I will either print out labels and use spray adhesive to attach them. This is used more for gifting beer than simple notetaking. Most of the time I will write on the cap or use masking tape for a label and write on it. Sometimes I'll use those "Hello. My name is" nametags if I don't feel like printing labels.

I use the sharpie on the cap for my personal drinking. When I give some to friends though, that doesn't work so well. I found a post here that suggested using milk to stick on the labels. It really works. I print out some basic labels on plain paper, dip the back side of the label in the milk and stick it on the bottle. It stays on in the fridge and washes right off in water, leaving no residue on the bottle. That way my friends don't have to keep asking me " which beer had #5 on tha cap?'

Do a seaarch on the forum for using milk to stick on labels.

Back