Maris Otter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ster

Reaction score
I just tried an experiment brew. Used Muntons Maris Otter Light, and only did a 15 minute boil.

I am extremely surprised at the color. Dark. Between a red and a brown ale. I completely expected a light ale similar to my other 5SRM extract brews.

Especially with the short boil.

Thoughts?

Must be a Munton's thing. I use Munton's Light DME (I don't think it's Maris Otter though) and it always comes out darker than Breiss' stuff. Love the flavor, though. I usually do a 30 minute boil and only add 1-2lbs at the 30 minute mark with the rest at flame-out.

In the past every extract brew I did turned out at least 5-10 SRM darker than what was listed, it may have a little to do with water chemistry but it's most likely due to the extraction process. I have done many all grain recipes with straight MO and it's turned out with a beautiful color!
Brew on!

Whats the Expiry date on the Can? You can get Maillard reaction from older LME or if it scorches in the pot from not being diluted into the water. I use Marris Otter (AG) in my Pale Ale's Religiously and they have always had a nice light color to them, so i wouldn't think it has anything to due with the Malt they used.

1) Try adding half of the extract at the start of the boil and the rest of it after turning off the heat.
2) Don't fret too much about the color...
3) Go all grain and get the lighter colors.

BTW Maris Otter is one of my favorites...

Since it was only 15 min boil, I didnt add at flameout. I have been doing nice light extracts for years, this one is DARK. Prob will not use maris ever again.

All my past brews I used LME came out darker than I was expecting. I have since gone to DME and they have all come out to the color I was anticipating.

I tried the same extract a couple of years ago - LHBS was out of MO grain and I really wanted to make a traditional ordinary bitter with S-04 and EKG hops.

OG ~ 1.038 and came out looking like this:

boxingdaybittertaste4.jpg

Back