Maris Otter vs. 2 Row Pale Malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badmajon

Reaction score
Hey all,

So I recently made the Bee Cave Brewery house pale ale, but I modified the recipe and used MO instead of 2 row. It's not a terrible beer, but IMHO the bready flavor of the MO does not compliment the sweet munich malt and almost gives the beer a kind of sourish taste which I do not like.

I used to just use MO in everything when I first started because I started brewing to make session bitters which I could not buy in the US, but now that I am expanding my repertoire I have found there is a place for 2 row and a place for Maris Otter.

Where do you all think MO is best used, and where is it best to use American 2 Row Pale?

I think personally MO does not generally go well with sweet light body beers. I've used it a couple of times as a base malt for stout and it was fine b/c the other flavors in the stout kept the bread flavor balanced. I think I will restrict my use of MO to dry beers or beers that have enough body to balance out the breadiness.

I think the Bee Cave recipe will taste much better with 2 row next time I make it as 2 row seems to give a kind of neutral, crisp taste that although does not have a lot of flavor on its own, compliments the secondary malts.

I'd just like to have some second opinions from some veteran brewers to make sure I'm not just talking out of my rear, which I have done uh, on occasion, in regards to brewing!

I'd just like to have some second opinions from some veteran brewers to make sure I'm not just talking out of my rear, which I have done uh, on occasion, in regards to brewing!

Well, I don't think MO is the least bit "sour" in APAs. But it's breadier and "warmer" and maltier. I don't like it many IPAs or APAs, unless I'm looking for those characteristics in a beer. US (or Canadian) two-row is "grainier" and more neutral in flavor. It's a great base for beers where you are adding specialty grains for flavor.

I almost infinitely prefer MO to 2row... however, I'm always conscious of using Munich alongside MO because they can add similar flavors to a beer. Munich is a little more upfront toasted bread crust while MO is more like bread dough maybe. It also seems to take less Munich to get these flavors than a comparative amount of MO. When those two malts combine it makes for quite the malt-forward beer. Not necessarily a bad thing but something to be planned for.

I'll say - I don't find anything sour about MO... is your beer young?

Back