Maris Otter Substitute: US 2-Row + Specialty Grains?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oktober

Reaction score
A conversation with a friend of mine got me thinking: is it possible to use US 2-Row and one or more specialty malts (i.e. Victory malt, Biscuit malt, etc) to replicate the flavors associated with Maris Otter or other English pale malt as a base malt? Can you achieve that flavor by just adding some kilned malt to the relatively weaker flavored US base malt? I have a sack of US 2-Row that is waiting to be used, so I've been noodling it for a while.

As an experiment, I’m thinking about brewing an English pale ale and trying this theory out. Right now I thinking of using Victory malt (0.5 lbs per 5 gallons) to add to the 2-Row as the English pale malt substitute – has anyone else tried this in the past? Any suggestions?

I appreciate it.

Slainte!

-Okt

that's what i normally do when i make an english style. i normally use victory and some munich to 'malten' things up a bit. it's probably not exactly how a 100% MO grain bill would taste, but it still turns out a great beer. i'd be interested to see the results of that experiment if you decide to go forward with it.

It will add some flavor to the domestic malt but it will not make it taste like MO or any other UK malted barley for that matter.

If you can find it, pale ale malt can be considered a reasonable substitute (not pale malt, it is actually called "pale ale malt"). I picked up a bag once for about the same price as standard 2-row(iirc the bag I bought was rahr). I believe it was designed by american malters to imitate imported marris otter as much as possible while using domestic grains.

Vitoma has the idea. I like to use 2:1 ratio of 2-row and pale ale malt where you would use maris otter. It's much cheaper, and I can't really tell the difference. So instead of 9lbs maris otter, I use 6lbs 2-row and 3lbs pale ale malt

Some American malsters seem to make a slightly darker kilned pale malt. Look for something in the 3L range, and you'll begin to approximate the flavor. I know Rahr and Canada Malting both make one. Other do as well, I'm sure.

Cargill makes a "special pale" malt that is around 3L, and is supposed to be similar to MO.

You could also try taking about 10% of your 2-row and toasting it in the oven @ 300F for 10-15 minutes. That won't make it taste exactly like MO, but does add some depth and complexity to your base malt.

TB

I agree that the Pale Ale malts (~3L) will be closer.

But the protein content is very different. MO is quite low in protein but domestic 2-row (regular Pale or Pale Ale) are quite high (for 2-row barley). The DPs are also at opposite ends of the 2-row malted barley spectrum. I just bought a sack of Canada Malting Superior Pale Ale malt and the protein was just over 11% and the DP was 137.

I agree that the Pale Ale malts (~3L) will be closer.

But the protein content is very different. MO is quite low in protein but domestic 2-row (regular Pale or Pale Ale) are quite high (for 2-row barley). The DPs are also at opposite ends of the 2-row malted barley spectrum. I just bought a sack of Canada Malting Superior Pale Ale malt and the protein was just over 11% and the DP was 137.

Bottom line is there's no equal substitute, only similar products.

TB

Back