Maris Otter SMaSH Suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottvin

Reaction score
I am looking to do a one gallon MO (2 pounds) SMaSH this weekend and was wondering what hops would go with it well.

I have Fuggles, Chinook, Magnum at the house but am going to store tomorrow.

I have S-04 and S-05 yeast available.

Thanks!

I'd go with the fuggles personally. They're just so versatile. Chinook is delicious, but I'm not sure how well the piney floral fragrance would work with MO in a smash. just my humble opinion

I'd do fuggles, too, with S-04.

Also: Use at least 2.5 lbs, and do a 90 minute boil. A few months ago, I did a MO EKG smash with a 90 minute boil, and the malt flavor was much deeper and more complex than a 60 minute MO cascade smash I did more recently. Both were one gallon batches and very good in their own right, but I'm really missing the 90 min MOEKG.

I did a MO SMaSH with EKG twice now and its great (second brewing was my first 10 gallon batch). I actually put one if the kegs from the second batch into the fridge with some whole EKG to dry hop it. Fuggles would be a second choice as far as the hop goes if it was me (EKG would still be my primary choice by leaps and bounds).

Well, I know for a fact that the store I am going to doesn't have EKG. However, since it's only 1 gallon I am sure I will make it again (if I like it).

Well, I know for a fact that the store I am going to doesn't have EKG. However, since it's only 1 gallon I am sure I will make it again (if I like it).
Try Karps in East Northport. They should have EKG.
MO is English. Fuggles and EKG are English, but EKG is much nicer IMO for pale coloured ales (coloured is English). SO4 is English.

Like the others said, I'd use SO4 and fuggles or EKG, and I'd much prefer EKG.

-a.

I like EKG and MO too.

But I just thought I'd mention that my all time favorite SMaSH beer was MO and amarillo. Oh, I know English malt and American hops sounds weird. But the warm slightly bready maris otter gave a deep rich flavor to the beer, while the amarillo hops "popped" and it was a wonderful beer.

It was not very highly hopped, just about APA level. And it was awesome!

Pah. You Kent snobs. :D

I'm voting for Fuggles and S-04. Fuggles aren't quite so "refined" as EKG, but I kind of like that bucolic, earthy character along with the bready, biscuit notes you can get from Maris Otter or some other floor malt. A SMaSH with Maris Otter and Fuggles brewed to an OG of about 1.070 and ~50 IBU will hearken back to the IPAs of the 19th century.

I've been meaning to do one of those for ages. Maybe I should get of the pot....

Bob

I like EKG and MO too.

But I just thought I'd mention that my all time favorite SMaSH beer was MO and amarillo. Oh, I know English malt and American hops sounds weird. But the warm slightly bready maris otter gave a deep rich flavor to the beer, while the amarillo hops "popped" and it was a wonderful beer.

It was not very highly hopped, just about APA level. And it was awesome!

I don't think English malts and American hops sound weird, just different. Using MO, EKG, and SO4, you are pretty much guaranteed to get a good result as so many great beers are made with that combination.

I've also made a number of American IPA's using MO, but American hops and yeast. They also turned out great, but the real killer was when I made an IPA with MO, WLP023, and EKG (along with a few other things) using a typical American IPA hopping schedule. I knew it was good because I tasted a sample (before it was ready). That was the only chance I had to sample that batch, because my American "friends" drank the whole batch before I had a chance to try a second sample and then started asking for more. :(

p.s. I think I need to get new glasses.
I read your post as "while the amarillo hops pooped":off:

-a.

I read your post as "while the amarillo hops pooped"

Heh. Heheheheh. You said "poop".

Beavis-Butthead-p21.jpg

Well, I went with what I had - Fuggles.

However, I used 3.3 pounds of MO and split the batch into separate gallon jugs. I used S-04 in one and S-05 in the other. The S-04 took off like a rocket and had krausen within 12 hours. The S-05 took longer but had krausen this morning.. about 36 hours later.

I wanted to try a MO smash a well to learn more about the grain. I know MO should be mashed a little cooler than normal, what is the general consensus for a smash mash temperature?

That's my plan but couldn't make it out to the store that had it in stock. I will probably just buy it online.

I buy all my hops online now. I bought some when Rebel Brewer had a blow-out sale, then got some more after that from them. Picked up some, before then, from Farmhouse. Most recently, I order 7 pounds from Hops Direct when they had their sale (just the other week). I break up the big bags of hops into 1-2oz (with some between there) parts, vacuum sealed, so that I can just grab some packets on brew day. Also helps me to know how much I have left of each hop. As soon as I decide what I'll be brewing, I check my inventory to make sure I have the hops I need. If I don't, I usually have something I can substitute with, or there's enough time to order up more.

Helps if you plan the batch a bit ahead, or have enough inventory on hand to make it a non-issue. I tend to do both. :D

Back