Maris Otter size

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pfgonzo

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me off the top of their head of the grain size on MO malt is smaller than American 2-row?

I ask because my efficiencies on the last two batches (both Irish reds with MO malt) have been in the gutter. I'm used to hitting 79-83% on my RIMS system, but I'm barely pushing mid-60s with this recipe. Barely.

(I do account for water chemistry in my recipe formulation.)

I'm wondering if it's the crush. I grind at my LHBS, and this last time, I thought the crush was poor, but chalked it up to being overly critical. My LHBS swears they haven't tweaked the mill settings, and no one else seems to have complained.

I'm wondering American 2-row is bigger and results in more crush than MO, generally speaking. I do like the flavor of this recipe, and am wondering if I need to finally invest in a mill to make the most out of it.

Looking at some side by side with some Rahr 2-row right now and they look the same size to me. I don't notice efficiency differences using MO with the same crush settings as my other base malts.

Random pull from grain stores. Marris slightly larger, but I could easily sway the results by picking different grains. Pretty similar overall. (ruler is clip art might not be to scale)

20140811_185714.jpg

It could be doughballs left over in the grain bed. Whenever I brew with Maris Otter I toss in some rice hulls otherwise I can expect doughball city.

It could be doughballs left over in the grain bed. Whenever I brew with Maris Otter I toss in some rice hulls otherwise I can expect doughball city.

This.

I'm not sure what it is, but I brew with MO regularly, and I get more doughballs with it than any other kind of malt. It usually takes me an extra few minutes ot make sure I get them all broken up. If you're getting lots of doughballs in your mash, there's your explanation.

That's interesting, I hadn't noticed that before. I tend to mash on the thin side though with my 2 systems.
:mug:

Hmm. I actually stir 2-3 times to avoid dough balls during the first 15-20 minutes of the mash... and before I start my 60m timer. I don't think I have dough balls. I'll keep my eye on it. Thanks especially to LabRatBrewer for the graphic!

Just did a Red with more Maris Otter in my grain bill and I had dough balls forming also.

Back