maris otter/ pale malt question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
I think I have been mistaken.. I was under the assumption that pale malt was 2 row and only 2 row. Now I see an IIPA recipoe I want to try that has listed pale malt/maris otter as if maris otter is the pale malt to use? So is maris otter a TYPE of pale malt or are they offering options of which to use? I know probably a dumb question but you dont know if you dont ask.

Maris Otter is a 2-row, "winter"[1] variety of barley commonly used in the production of malt for the brewing industry. The variety was bred by Dr G D H Bell and his team of plant breeders at Cambridge. It was introduced in 1966 and quickly became a dominant variety due to its low nitrogen and superior malting characteristics.

It has been supplanted by newer varieties with better agronomics, but it is still in high demand for premium products. It is one of the few barley malts marketed today by variety. Some breweries note the use of Maris Otter in their promotional literature. It carries a price premium to most other varieties.

Maris Otter is a cross of Proctor and Pioneer.

Dr GDH Bell bred Maris Otter in Cambridge 40 years ago with the express purpose of producing a barley variety that would give consistently high quality malt for the cask conditioned ale market. It was bred by crossing the two varieties Proctor and Pioneer and it soon became the foundation of the finest English cask conditioned ales. After many years of being the most widely grown malting barley, cross pollination and use of uncertified seed brought about the decline of the variety.

More here; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maris_Otter

As seen above it is a 2 row. The key difference to me is that is has a little more malt flavor and mouthfeel than your typical American 2 row. Others may have differing opinions.
I know some brewers that use it regularly in place of "regular" 2row.
I like them both.

As I understand it, pale malt is a little darker that what you normally buy as 2 row. Maris Otter is a type of pale malt that tends to have a sweeter taste than what is normally listed as pale malt.

It isn't so much a sweeter taste as it is a bicuty taste. MO is kilned a bit darker and this affects the flavor. Best way to understand is to get some American 2row and some MO and taste them.

I think I have been mistaken.. I was under the assumption that pale malt was 2 row and only 2 row. Now I see an IIPA recipoe I want to try that has listed pale malt/maris otter as if maris otter is the pale malt to use? So is maris otter a TYPE of pale malt or are they offering options of which to use? I know probably a dumb question but you dont know if you dont ask.

There are tons of types of pale malt. They refer to different strains of barley used to produce the particular malt, to the specific malting process, to the maltster's branding, and/or to the final flavor profile (e.g. many maltsters produce Marris Otter and Golden Promise pale malts, while Optic is a Fawcett-specific brand name). Often they aren't published--most bulk grain is just sold as "pale malt" or "2-row". But some have slightly different flavor profiles and are sold as a "prestige" name.

Marris Otter, Golden Promise, Optic, Halcyon, Harrington, Metcalfe, Copeland, etc...the list goes on. They're all kinds of pale malt.

Maris Otter, Golden Promise, Halcyon, and Optic are English varieties; they are all a bit maltier/grainier with a hint of a biscuit tone to them. To me, Marris Otter tends to be slightly less biscuity than Golden Promise/Optic, but that can vary between brands.

The differences are fairly subtle compared to the difference between, say, 2-row and Crystal 20. But they can help lend a unique backbone to your beer.

Back