Maris otter not in Recipator?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim Karr

Reaction score
OK, I'm going to fire up the kettle tomorrow. I'd like to doublecheck my recipe before I start.

I went to Tastybrew.com and I couldn't find Maris Otter. I thinks to myself,"OK, maybe this database isn't as complete as some other ones."

I went to the Recipator, and the same thing!

What gives? Does this grain have another common name I don't know?:eek:

OK, I'm going to fire up the kettle tomorrow. I'd like to doublecheck my recipe before I start.

I went to Tastybrew.com and I couldn't find Maris Otter. I thinks to myself,"OK, maybe this database isn't as complete as some other ones."

I went to the Recipator, and the same thing!

What gives? Does this grain have another common name I don't know?:eek:

Put it in as British Pale--the only important thing for the recipator is that you have the right extract ppg (and color if you're calculating that) numbers.

If the label bugs you, you can edit it to Marris Otter on the next page. And if you have precise figures for your grain you can tweak the extract ppg and/or color contribution there as well.

Like they said, maris otter is a "style" produced by multiple malters(say that one 10 times fast:D) try looking if there is a british or U.S. choice or a malter brand name choice.

As already stated just use British Pale malt.

Just to clarify - Maris Otter is a specific cultivar of barley commonly grown in Britain. Golden Promise is another. Equally important is to have it from a reputable maltster, such as Crisp, as they determine the final product.

GT

Back