Maris Otter/Nelson Sauvin SMaSH?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ilan34

Reaction score
I'm brewing this combination this weekend for competition. I've never used Nelson before. I'm shooting for something balanced, leaning towards the hoppier side. Right now, it looks like an APA: 1.057 OG and 50 IBU. I plan on mashing at 154.

The thing is, I'm second guessing myself at my choice of malt. Would Pilsner be a better match?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Home Brew mobile app

Forgot to mention - I'm using WLP001 - going for something very neutral in order to let the hops and malt shine equally.

I think MO is a great choice for a smash. It has more flavor than modern pilsner malt IMO. One of my first brews was a MO/Simcoe smash, which tasted good. I don't have the numbers right now, but i mashed slightly higher than I usually do, aiming for a medium body. Go for it!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Oops, didn't notice your mash temp there! 154 is probably a good temp!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Pilsner will definitely keep it on the hoppier side. I think a pils and nelson beer would be nice and refreshing as it gets warmer. MO would be good too, just a bit richer and maltier, so its all about what you are looking for.

I did a MO-Nelson smash last year - albeit with a touch of carapils.

I was very pleased with it - it made a great summer beer. Here's my recipe: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f66/horatio-nelson-sauvin-pale-ale-388900/

I'd always use MO for pale ales and IPAs, personally.

Thanks for that... How did you find the bittering aspect of Nelson? I've heard it can be a little rough as a bittering hop - was that your experience?

I am doing a Vienna/Citra SMaSH this weekend and using Pacific Ale Yeast. I have done a Vienna/Nelson SMaSH several times in the past and used Cal Ale Yeast or Conan to ferment. It has always been outstanding. Vienna is awesome for SMaSH beers!

Thanks for that... How did you find the bittering aspect of Nelson? I've heard it can be a little rough as a bittering hop - was that your experience?

No, I didn't find it rough as a bittering hop. Maybe the maltiness of MO levelled it out a bit more than a pilsner or other lighter malt would. However, if I were to do this beer again I think I'd add some more late hop additions.

Another poster mentioned that Vienna is good for SMaSH beers - I also liked Munich in SMaSH beers with US hops that I have tasted, although I haven't made a Munich SMaSH myself.

I'd be interested in hearing how your Nelson SMaSH turns out!

Well, the brew went well this weekend, so I'll make updates as it goes along. I wound up doing a FWH with .38 oz, 15 min of .44 oz, and a 45 minute hopstand of 1.2 oz - temperature was at 175 at the end of that.

I hit one point over my intended gravity and I'm fermenting at 65 degrees. It took a few hours to get in gear, but it wound up being a strong fermentation and I got a little blowoff.

Btw, this is for a 2.75 gallon batch.

I tried for 154 in the mash, but settled for 153.5. Temp was 152.6 at the end of the 75 minutes. pH was 5.36.

Back