Maredsous or Old Peculiar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeRoux's Broux

Reaction score
Has anyone tried to clone Maredsous No.8 or Theakston's Old Peculiar? I want to brew one, but don't know ingredients/conditioning times. Being high alcohol, I'm sure they need to smooth out for a couple months. I keg, and force carbonate, but I figured I would use priming sugar and just condition in keg at room temp for a while? :confused:

Also, does anyone have a good e/g recipe for one of these bad boy's?

Cheers!
DeRoux's Broux

Sorry, not me. But if you find anything please post it. Those are some unique beers, and I bet they have some interesting ingredients. Old Peculier may have molasses? Who knows. It's a complex brew. Keep us posted on your success.

I was actually digging through some old issues of BYO this weekend and found an article about Old Ales, and they had an Old Peculiar recipe, but it didn't mention molasses. I had heard before that it may have it in there? We'll see. I brewed an Imperial Rye Ale this weekend, so when that's done, I'll give it a go and I'll keep ya'l posted.

Cheers!
DeRoux's Broux

OT, but was the rye extract or grain? I have brewed exactly one rye ale in my life, and I doubt I'll ever do it again. It was a NIGHTMARE of a stuck mash. Took bloody forever to salvage it.

I love rye beer, but I'll just drink the one that the good folks at Bear Republic Brewing Company make ;)

Janx

It's an extract w/ grains. It's actually an Imperial IPA that my homebrew shop does, and we added 1/2 pound of rye to the recipe. I had never had one until Saturday at a tap house in Houston. Full Moon Pale Rye. Damn good. I actually have the clone recipe for Bear Republic's Hop Rod Rye (all grain) that's from the brewer there. That's what inspired mine! Freaky Stuff Man! :eek:
I capped my primary @ 200pm, and when I went home at lunch today activity was goin' crazy already. Didn't get to do a starter due to time, but it's working good.

DeRoux's Broux

Heres a recipe I ran across for an Old Ale. The author was trying for an approximation of Old Peculiar, but said this turned out different.

I'm looking for a Usher's 1824 Particular recipe myself ; can anyone dig one up for extract/steeping brew.:confused:

Old and Faded Ale

6.6 lbs. Muntons Amber Malt Extract
1 lb. Wheat Dry Malt Extract
1 lb. Organic Black Molasses
0.25 lbs. Caramunich (crushed)
0.16 lbs. Special B (crushed)
2 tps. Barton Water Salts (added after steep)
1.5 oz. Northern Brewer (@ 60 mins)
0.50 oz. Kent Goldings (@ 40 mins)
0.50 oz. Fuggle (@ 30 mins)
1 oz. Fuggle (last min)
White Labs WLP007 Dry English Ale Yeast with quart starter
Carb drops for priming

Note: All grains steeped in 2.5 gals at 150 degrees for 60 mins.

Starting S.G. 1.068
Final S.G. 1.016
Alcohol 6.9%
Color 15 SRM
IBU 40-50

Bottled: 04-01-05
Racked to Secondary: 03-12-05
Brewed: 03-05-05

Tasting notes: Wow. It turned out much different than I planned. I was expecting an "Old Peculiar" and got something much different. Full body, great hoppy smell, and smooth.

Back