March pump SAE 20 oil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattHollingsworth

Reaction score
So, my RIMs system is being set up. It's my old one and hasn't been used for 7 years. I need to oil the pump and it says to use SAE 20 every six months. I don't remember what I used in the old days. Checking the March Pumps site, it says the same, it says it should be oiled with SAE 20 weight non detergent oil.

Locally, I'm going to have to find this oil. When talking to the folks here in Croatia, how should I word this? When I look for oil, I mostly see motor oil, labeled SAE 10 W 40 or something along those lines. What should I be looking for? Yeah, I know. I'm not exactly a mechanic. Any information on *exactly* what to look for will help me find the correct product.

Thanks for any and all help.

3-in-one all is SAE 20 equiv and non detergent. Should be available everywhere.

This is the one you want

3IN1-10145.jpg

When I worked in a Chem. plant, the lube oil we used had different additive packages from engine lube oil. Like rotating shafts don't require protection from the combustion process. My question is: Is it necessary to use something labeled for motor use only. I know any oil is better than no oil, but you wouldn't want to use motor oil or do you think that it would be OK? - Dwain

When I worked in a Chem. plant, the lube oil we used had different additive packages from engine lube oil. Like rotating shafts don't require protection from the combustion process. My question is: Is it necessary to use something labeled for motor use only. I know any oil is better than no oil, but you wouldn't want to use motor oil or do you think that it would be OK? - Dwain

Motor is the correct term for electric motors. The term has been interchanged with internal combustion engines. Engines are powered by kinetic energy using fuels whereas an engine uses electricity steam compressed air to produce kinetic energy. But I don't think in this instance it makes any difference which type is used.

Springer,
Yeah, my last sentence:
I know any oil is better than no oil, but you wouldn't want to use motor oil or do you think that it would be OK?
should have read:
I know any oil is better than no oil, but you wouldn't want to use engine oil or do you think that it would be OK?

Matt,

Look for an appliance repair parts store, they usually sell little bottles of the electric motor oil you need. Or a HVAC parts store might have it too.

Springer,
Yeah, my last sentence:

should have read:
I know any oil is better than no oil, but you wouldn't want to use engine oil or do you think that it would be OK?

wasnt trying correct you at all . I was just saying a lot of people just say motor for everything. In a march pump it really wouldn't matter if you used engine oil .

There is a big discussion on several Motorcycle boards about using engine oil in all three holes :rockin:( heehhe) meaning Transmission ,engine and primary on a Harley. While people say you can use engine oil in the trans. I wont for a few bucks more I can use Mobil one gear oil

3-in-one all is SAE 20 equiv and non detergent. Should be available everywhere.

Digging up a somewhat old thread. So last night I oiled both my Chugger Pumps with 3 in 1 oil. I'm wondering if 3 in 1 oil is SAE 20 equivalent and if it is a good choice instead of the more specific motor oil they make pictured below. 3 in 1 was the only product I could find.

3IN1-10145.jpg

FYI, one should be able to find 3-in-1 oil at sewing machine repair places.

M_C

I have 3 in 1 multipurpose oil and this is what I used. I'm just wondering if it is ok to use instead of the more specific motor oil they make which is SAE 20w. The pump requires 20w oil and based on earlier posts I thought 3 in 1 multipurpose was 20w. However, I can't find any info on the web to support this.

Here are the product pages:
http://www.3inone.com/products/telescoping-spout/
http://www.3inone.com/products/motor-oil/

Edit: Looking at the msds for both products they seem very similiar. More specifically section 9 of the MSDSs shows that they have very similiar properties and almost the exact same specific gravity. However, the multipurpose oil is a napthenic oil while the motor oil is a paraffinic oil. According to wikipedia (poor source), napthenic oils typically have a lower pour point and napthenic oils tend to have different solvent properties. I have no idea if this is important and I have no idea if I should even care at this point.

IMO, you guys are over thinking the oiling thing. Just about any quality oil somewhere near the 20w would work just fine including the 3 in 1, automotive engine oil or sewing machine oil. Additionally, at the frequency and duration that we typically operate these pumps, they should only require lubrication about once every 50 years or so.

IMO, you guys are over thinking the oiling thing. Just about any quality oil somewhere near the 20w would work just fine including the 3 in 1, automotive engine oil or sewing machine oil. Additionally, at the frequency and duration that we typically operate these pumps, they should only require lubrication about once every 50 years or so.

The only reason I'm concerned about proper oiling is because the pump sounds somewhat rough both before and after I oiled it. I'm assuming this is normal for these pumps but curious.

The only reason I'm concerned about proper oiling is because the pump sounds somewhat rough both before and after I oiled it. I'm assuming this is normal for these pumps but curious.

All the noise from my pumps comes from the head, far away from anywhere oiled. Fwiw, I just used a drop of straight 30 weight on my pumps.

_

All the noise from my pumps comes from the head, far away from anywhere oiled. Fwiw, I just used a drop of straight 30 weight on my pumps.

_

+1 Exactly the same with mine, but I have very little noise at all really.

_

+1 Exactly the same with mine, but I have very little noise at all really.

What pumps are they? Chugger/March/Little Giant? I think most the noise from mine comes from the head as well. Though I'm not sure if that means it's not a problem.

What pumps are they? Chugger/March/Little Giant? I think most the noise from mine comes from the head as well. Though I'm not sure if that means it's not a problem.

I have 2 marches and a fasco, which is real quiet. Imo the noise is just the nature of a mag drive pump, nothing to be concerned with.

_

I'm running a Little Giant 3-MD-MT-HC like this:

http://www.plumbersurplus.com/Prod/...ive-Pump-6-power-cord-(578603)/57399/Cat/1006

I've had zero problems with this pump. It seems to run more quietly than the March 809 pumps my friends use. The LG has performed flawlessly going on about 6 years now.

I have 2 marches and a fasco, which is real quiet. Imo the noise is just the nature of a mag drive pump, nothing to be concerned with.

_

Hmm... OK. It was just my inexperience with these pumps speaking. I simply did not want to get stuck during mid brew with a failing pump.

Oiling the pump is not 100% necessary unless its being operated in a bad environment like very dusty or very humid where it can start to rust. The motor Mfg have told us they are lubricated enough to last the lifetime of the pump for continuous duty operation. (according to them that would be between 3-5 years of nonstop running)
If it makes you sleep better at night I just recommend to all that call here to get some sewing machine oil (that 3-in-1 oil is perfect) and put a few drops in once a year for the average person operating it inside their home. Anything else would be your own judgment call. :)

-Walter

Oiling the pump is not 100% necessary unless its being operated in a bad environment like very dusty or very humid where it can start to rust. The motor Mfg have told us they are lubricated enough to last the lifetime of the pump for continuous duty operation. (according to them that would be between 3-5 years of nonstop running)
If it makes you sleep better at night I just recommend to all that call here to get some sewing machine oil (that 3-in-1 oil is perfect) and put a few drops in once a year for the average person operating it inside their home. Anything else would be your own judgment call. :)

-Walter

Thanks Walter. You have put my curiosity to rest. It was one of those subjects that was a non-issue until I oiled the pump and couldn't find an literature to determine what was proper. I'm glad I can sleep tonight. ;)

Back