march pump questions

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Funkenjaeger

Reaction score
Having recently switched to a keggle, and looking forward to trying some 10gal batches, I'm starting to seriously consider a march pump - especially with christmas around the corner. For 5gal batches it will really help reduce wear and tear on my back, and for 10gal it'll be a godsend.

Ideally I'd like to use it for multiple purposes - vorlauf during mash, recirc during chilling (a la Jamil's whirlpool IC), draining kettle to fermenters, and whatever other miscellaneous tasks I come up with.

I am not using a sculpture or anything like that, I use a propane burner outdoors and usually mash indoors in a cooler, so I would plan on mounting the pump in an easily portable manner - probably inside a plastic box to make it splash-proof, maybe a small toolbox for easy carrying.

How loud are they? Are my roommates going to kill me if I use the pump to vorlauf while mashing indoors?

My biggest concern is hooking the thing up. Since I plan to use it for multiple purposes, I would need to be able to easily switch it from one task to the next.
I know that polysulphone quick disconnects are a convenient choice, but at $15+ for a single male/female pair, outfitting all of my equipment with those disconnects really adds up quick. I am thinking that I could buy some of that nice flexible silicone tubing, and just use it with hose barbs all around - as I hear that it's much easier to use with hose barbs than vinyl tubing. I figure I'd try to stick to plastic hose barbs where possible to reduce wear and tear on the tubing. But having not used silicone tubing before, I don't know for sure.

Is silicone tubing with plastic hose barbs a reasonable solution? Or are quick-disconnects really 'critical' to making a march pump convenient to use?
Any other insight or advice would be greatly appreciated as well.:mug:

lustreking

Reaction score
They are very quiet, so sound shouldn't bother your roommates.

I too am planning on building mine in a toolbox this weekend.

As far as hoses and disconnects go, I follow George Schmidt's advice.
http://www.brewing.schmidt-house.com/QDs_hose.htm

The disconnects aren't super-cheap, but they're a lot less expensive than the polysulphone ones. Having quick disconnects really makes things easier. Also silicone tubing is very stretchy, so I wouldn't put it on a barb without some kind of hose clamp. Otherwise I think it would pop right off.

OP
Funkenjaeger

Funkenjaeger

Reaction score
Thanks for the link. Those disconnects really are quite a bit more affordable. Still trying to make my mind up, but it's good to know there's a moderately affordable option.

lustreking

Reaction score
I like them. The only problem is that, since they're brass, they will get hot, so keep some gloves handy.

Chriso

Broken Robot Brewing Co.
Reaction score
Those look so sweet, I'm getting tons of ideas now. :D

weirdboy

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Well, the thread is nearly three years old. Things change on the internet...

Anyway, a lot of people are onto the camlocks now instead of the quick disconnects.