March pump question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

missing link

Reaction score
For those of you that use a pump, how do you control the flow? Do you use the valves to slow down the flow or do you adjust the amount of power going to the pump?

THanks

Linc

You really only want to control the flow with a valve on teh outlet side of the pump. The motor is designed to run at the full voltage, anything less will compromise the life of the pump.

Yep, this from Morebeer.

The magnetic drive acts as a clutch allowing the user to put backpressure on the pump to slow down flow.

korndog said:
Yep, this from Morebeer.

The magnetic drive acts as a clutch allowing the user to put backpressure on the pump to slow down flow.

That makes sense, the magnetic motor will turn regardless of the pump blades. I was imagining the impeller cavitating if the flow was to slow.

Thanks

I got fancy and put a diverter on my pump. bypass.jpg

Could always use a small VFD :) a bit overkill for the application though

Nm... forgot about the 110. Those are a bit harder to find.

korndog said:
So on the uphill leg, gravity forces wort (water) down and across the bypass, regulated by the ball valve? That's pretty cool if I am reading it right.

Zackly, It works well, but I bet a ball valve on the out let would work just as well. But I have fun soldering copper, reminds me of playing with Legos.

Latest posts

Back