March 815 pump failing with hot wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richl025

BIAB brewer
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone had any ideas, or if this is just one of those things you have to live with...

I have a March 815 on my BIAB stand, located about a foot below my kettle. I use the pump to circulate wort through my plate chiller. About 15 min before flame-out, I start the pump to circulate (near boiling) wort through the chiller to sanitize it.

I have a quarter-turn ball valve on the outflow of the pump. I have to keep it throttled down VERY low, otherwise I head a loud "screech" from the pumphead and it stops pumping entirely. When it stops like that, I have to cut power to the pump completely, and when the motor stops I hear a subtle "thunk" as the magnetic impeller re-engages; then I can restart the motor and resume pumping (excruciatingly slowly).

It seems like, after flame-out, when I have water running through the chiller & the wort is actively cooling, I can run the pump wider and wider without this "vapor-lock" (if thats indeed what it is).

Is this normal? Does everyone else experience the same?

FWIW, there is a _slight_ flow restriction in the kettle in that I have a pickup tube mounted inside my spigot - it is not very narrow, though... but it does seem that I can never get all the air out of the hose leading from the kettle down to the pump, and I cant help but wonder if thats not part of it?

The wort is at it's boiling point in the kettle and trying to pump that wort is likely to incur cavitation at the pump impeller. Throttling the discharge would help reduce the potential for cavitation. It sounds like you're doing it right.

Yeah, it's pretty much a physics problem: pulling too hard with the pump drops the pressure at the pick-up which lowers the boiling point just enough to cause it to produce bubbles which get sucked along to the pump head where it causes cavitation.

When I'm recirculating the boil I always have to throttle the pump output down to about a quarter volume.
Once I start cooling and the temperature drops a few degrees I can go full bore...

Cheers!

Back