March 809 Pump box

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scootermsp

Reaction score
As anyone who has a pump knows, the March 809 pumps are not intended to get fluids on them. I found a few examples online and found a rather inexpensive solution from the big orange store.

Materials: (in addition to pump)

1 Husky plastic toolbox $5.97
4 machine screws $0.40
1 wire clamp $0.20
1 8' Tool cord $8.97
1 plastic recepticle box $2.19
1 weatherproof cover $4.97
1 lightswitch $0.97

I removed the 4 screws that secure the head to the pump and the set screw which held the magnet in the shaft (3mm allen). Drilled out 3/4" shaft hole and four 1/4" holes for screws. The original screws were not long enough to sandwich the toolbox between the pump and pump head, so I took the pump to the store and fit the appropriate 1/2" machine screws for same. I cut the plug off of the pump and stripped the wires down. On the back side with a 3/4" hole saw I cut the hole for the cord and hed the pre stripped tool cord through. Opposite the pump I made the cut out for the recepticle box and secured same. I added a light switch and wired it up. The weatherproof cover in spring loaded and will protect the box from liquids and unintentional activation on the switch.

Neat, I dumped 8 gallons directly onto my pump and it fired right up after drying out.

Have you used this yet? How hot does it get inside that thing, as I'm looking to do something very similar

Back