March 809 PL-HS-C

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rekoob

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone use this pump and if so what kind of set-up are you doing as far as the in/out goes?
How about pump oriantation, what is the best way?
Are the pump heads on the march 809's interchangable?

Pulled the trigger on one of these and I know I have read about them on here but you think I would be able to search and find those threads??? frustrating at times.

Thanks wild. I knew I was going to get that dreaded "do a search" when I posted this. I will search more, it just didn't pull anything up specific about this pump when I do it. I will keep trying. Thanks for the link but it doesn't work. I'm not trying to be lazy here, I guess I just need more figureing things out on the site, I have trouble finding things at times.

As far as orrientation goes, the ideal way is horizontal with discharge facing straight up as i comes right out of the box. Thge nice thing about out pumps is yo can clock the head every 90* so if you wanted to mount the motor under a table/platform, you can, just unscrew the head and rotate back to the normal position. If space is an issue and you wanted to mount it verticaly, then you can do that also....only thing is the pump head would need to be ontop of the motor and not below as most would want to do.
Reason being is that with the pump head on the bottom under the motor you will have a pocket of air trapped in the rear housing...and although the pump will move liquid the back end of the impeller will be running dry and will eventually get damaged due to lack of lubrication.

As far as the set up goes on the in/out.....just make sure to use a min 1/2" ID hose and you will be fine. :)

And yes the heads are interchangeable between the models...only thing you have to make sure is to keep the models the same when changing......for instance you can change the bronze head with a plastic head or the stainless head...but keep them all "HS" high speed (3500 rpm) or low speed (1750 rpm) as they have different size impellers. If you put a high speed impeller on a low speed pump you will get even less output then what it does now.....if you put a low speed impeller on a high speed pump it will either over load the motor and get hot or the magnets will decouple.

-Walter

Thanks a bunch walter. I did find your huge thread on pumps and am reading though that.
My pump showed up today. Now just need my quick connects and I'll be set. Thanks again.

Back