Maraschino Cherries & Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gradnin

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am playing around with a recipe for a bourbon stout. Thinking about making some maraschino cherries and then adding them to half a the bottles. Question is this, if I add one cherry per 12 oz bottle, will it impart enough flavor to get the essence of cherry in each bottle?

Thank you.

I wouldn't add cherries to the actual bottle. I would bottle the one half of the stout and transfer the other half to a secondary fermenter, and then add your cherries to the secondary and bottle after a few days.

Also, Maraschino cherries have alot of preservatives, not sure if its enough to effect the yeast, but its alot. If you have an eastern european grocer in your area, there are usually cheap jars of sour cherries in light syrup (zergut brand) which dont have preservatives. Add a few shots of almond liquor (for 5 gal), or ground mahleb, to get the maraschino flavor. Probably will taste better.

Was definitely looking at making mine one maraschino cherries for this. The bottled ones have too many chemicals. Went looking for cherries in the supermarket over the weekend and could not find any, either fresh or frozen. Will look for the sour ones next. I believe that Trader Joes sells those, so hopefully I can find some without chemicals. Maybe just use these if I can find them and drop the "maraschino" portion of it.

Turns out that it is definitely the wrong time of year to find fresh cherries. Also, the more I have read about Maraschino cherries, the less I want to use them in my beer. So, next questions are canned Sour cherries or canned Tart? how much do I use for a 3-gallon batch? and do I boil them before throwing them in to the secondary?

Thank you.

Back