Maple Syrup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kahunaman

Reaction score
So my father decides to get me this 2 gal of pure maple syrup. My wife and I... don't really do the sweet stuff and try to keep our indulgences for just beer... and this stuff is WAYYY to sweet in my opinion... but It's GOT to be very fermentable. Anyone used maple syrup? I'd love to put together a recipe or work off of one if anyone has it.
Looking for input or a recipe. thanks!

You are lucky to have such a quantity. To purchase that amount would be a small fortune.

Of course that stuff is fermentable. It is used in a number of recipes for browns, porters and stouts and in various amounts from 8oz(cup) to a half a gallon. You would need about a half a gallon to notice a Maple flavor in a five gallon batch of dark style beer. Almost all of the sugar would ferment out. I would suggest adding it to a secondary to avoid scrubbing of the subtle aroma. You can also use it to prime the beer at bottling adding a little more flavor to it.

Panckaces, maple syrup and a maple breakfast stout = a great start to cold mornings. I just may have to do that:mug:

So my father decides to get me this 2 gal of pure maple syrup. My wife and I... don't really do the sweet stuff and try to keep our indulgences for just beer... and this stuff is WAYYY to sweet in my opinion... but It's GOT to be very fermentable. Anyone used maple syrup? I'd love to put together a recipe or work off of one if anyone has it.

I'm assuming he got you grade A maple syrup. I have used it before and it can produce some good results in the same fashion any sugar can (from table sugar to honey) but it will leave less residuals than the lower grades of syrup. Don't make it more than about 8% of your fermentable sugar, and you should have good results. A brown or a stout or a porter would be great.

kahunaman,
There is a beer out there now called "Tommy Knocker Brown Ale" which I believe the brewery is located in Colorado. They have a clone recipe in the 150 Clone Recipes magazine that is put out by "Brew-Your-Own". The recipe calls for adding the maple syrup and the end of the boil just as you turn the heat off. They list the recipe for extract and all-grain.
This is the one that I am going to make and let me tell you it is really good. I bought a six pack at the local grocery store last week just to try and compare to when I make mine batch.:mug:

kahunaman,
There is a beer out there now called "Tommy Knocker Brown Ale" which I believe the brewery is located in Colorado. They have a clone recipe in the 150 Clone Recipes magazine that is put out by "Brew-Your-Own". The recipe calls for adding the maple syrup and the end of the boil just as you turn the heat off. They list the recipe for extract and all-grain.
This is the one that I am going to make and let me tell you it is really good. I bought a six pack at the local grocery store last week just to try and compare to when I make mine batch.:mug:

EXCELLENT! I'll track it down for sure. thanks!

Hey guys, I'm kind of a noob but my second brew was that Tommyknocker clone (I used the recipe found in "Beer Captured", it is probably the same recipe). I used syrup at the end of the boil and as priming sugar. It didn't taste much like Tommyknocker, but it turned out to be a superb brew. The syrup gave a very subtle maple taste, not as extreme as you would think (though I have read that using grade B syrup will enhance the maple taste).

I highly recommend the recipe!

I remember about 15 years ago when I first started homebrewing. Did a kit for a Guiness style stout. Thought I read the directions thoroughly. Found out when I took the SG before pitching the yeast, the recipe was for 4 gals. Had topped off the ale pail to 5. Had no brewing sugar available. Saw an article in Zymurgy mentioning maple syrup. Had some grade a Vermont stuff, 1 qt. Added it until the SG was where it was supposed to be. For a mistake, it was the best beer I had ever made. Tasted like Guiness with a hint of maple.

So I have approx. 6 gallons of a brown in the primary at day 14, I usually don't rack to secondary, but I was thinking about racking it onto some maple syrup.

Questions:

how much will it impact fermentation? flavor?
How much would I use for this size batch?
do I just pour it into fermenter, or does it get boiled and cooled?
How long would I let it go in secondary?

Eastside

I have used one pint in the last min of my boil with descent sucess. It gave a slight maple flavor to the end of the beer. next time I'll add two pints.

Back