Maple syrup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mudduck123

Reaction score
I'm wanting to add maple syrup to my porter that I am currently making. I don't want the maple taste to be overwhelming, I just want there to be enough of the taste so that you know it's there. How much do you think I should add to 5 gallons?

I have a Maple Midnight Wheat that I do 8oz. @90min. of boil and also for priming do 1/2c corn sugar with 1/3c maple. I have a lot of roasty flavors going on in it so its not overwhelming and a great mapley aroma. Maybe take the boil amount down a bit for your recipe? Its probably gonna take a lot to really be overwhelming though because that syrup is gonna get eaten up and dry out the beer mostly, which is probably of more concern. And thats using Grade A Dark Amber.

I should have also mentioned that this is going to be a "breakfast beer". I've already added water to it that had bacon soaking in it for a week. I plan on steeping coffee in it for about 48 hours after I move it to the secondary.

How did you do the bacon? Just plain water or did you do a tincture? What about the oil from the bacon did that go in too?

I soaked the cooked bacon in water for a week. I kept it in the fridge so the fats would solidify. After the week was done, I strained the water through coffee filters.

I soaked the cooked bacon in water for a week. I kept it in the fridge so the fats would solidify. After the week was done, I strained the water through coffee filters.

Im no professional yet but I tend to brew beers on the stranger side like this one. As far as your bacon water, was it pre boiled or sanitized in any way? Id be really worried about bacteria even if it was in the fridge. Usually flavor infusions like this use a vodka tincture to prohibit bacterial growth.

Hopefully it will work out, just a bit of advice if you want it. Use vodka next time, it is sanitary and extracts way more flavor. As for the maple you might get some good flavor by racking onto it in secondary and using it to prime to get aroma. Hope it works for you, update on how it turns out!

Latest posts

Back