maple stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donjr721

Reaction score
i'm new to home brewing, i have a batch in the secondary fermenter right now. i read and researched a ton before starting. i finally bought a starter kit with fermenting bucket, bottling bucket, and the other stuff with it. i also bought an irish stout ingredient kit. stouts are my favorite. while boiling my wort, i had two pints of homemade maple syrup sitting on the counter, staring at it, i got the idea to add one to the boil at the end, and added the second pint to the secondary. it's been in the secondary about a week now, and i checked the gravity today. it's at 1.016 started out at 1.054. i couldn't help to put my sample in the fridge and let it get cold. it tastes great, flat, but good. not a big maple flavor, but slight hint of maple aroma, very slight. i wonder if the flavor will be more pronounced after conditioning in the secondary for another week. gonna bottle in about two weeks. can't wait to try a carbonated bottle. i'm almost tempted to prime with maple syrup. that is if i make some more syrup.

interesting...do you make your own maple syrup? i have a maple stout in secondary right now that has added lactose. started at 1042 and is just hovering around 1020-way too sweet if you ask me.

yes, i did make the maple syrup. the hop bitterness should balance out the sweetness, we will have to wait and see. the syrup is really good.

Latest posts

Back