Maple Sap Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

scoots

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I have the benefit of a friend who just started tapping his maple trees this year. Up to this point I am a five gallon extract or partial mash brewer that follows directions to learn how to make different beers. My friend is going to give me about 6 gallons of maple sap to make a beer with.

I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with maple sap. I really need some suggestions on what to brew with this stuff. I understand that it takes about 40 gallons of sap to get 1 gallon of syrup, so I know I may have to add syrup for proper flavor, but honestly I have no idea.

What do you think? I really would like this one to be special.

LayMeister

Reaction score
The 6 gallons of sap would produce about 2 1/2 cups of syrup (I have 15 gallons over a fire as we speak). I would be tempted to use the sap instead of water in a 5 gallon batch of beer. You may need to add more syrup for the flavor to stand out, but you could always do this in the secondary if needed.

Paul

OP
S

scoots

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Using it instead of water, that is a good idea. How much flavor will the sap impart? I have never added anything for flavor into the secondary. What would need to be done with the syrup to add it later?

What types of beer would be good with a syrupy flavor?