Maple Nut Brown Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

binaryc0de

Torrence Brewing
Reaction score
Recipe Type
Partial Mash
Yeast
Wyeast American Ale II
Yeast Starter
No
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
No
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
2 Weeks @ 65F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
2 Weeks @ 65F
Tasting Notes
Brewing this weekend
Size: 5.0 gal
Efficiency: 75.0%
Attenuation: 75.0%
Calories: 193.5 kcal per 12.0 fl oz

Original Gravity: 1.058
Terminal Gravity: 1.015
Color: 21.71
Alcohol: 5.72%
Bitterness: 33.9

Ingredients:
2.0 lb Amber Dry
5.0 lb 2-Row Brewers Malt
0.5 lb 2-Row Caramel Malt 10L
0.5 lb Oats Flaked
.5 lb American Victory
0.5 lb Chocolate Malt
12.5 oz Grade B Maple Syrup - added during boil, boiled 10.0 min
12.5 oz Grade B Maple Syrup (In Secondary)
1.0 oz Kent Golding (4.5%) - added first wort, boiled 60 min
1 oz Fuggle (4.8%) - added during boil, boiled 20.0 min
1 oz Fuggle (4.8%) - added during boil, boiled 10.0 min
1.0 ea WYeast 1272 American Ale II

Prime with 9 oz by weight (3/4 Cup) Grade B Maple Syrup.

Looks like an interesting recipe. The database, however, is really only for established, tried-and-true recipes. Definitely update us once it's brewed...

I'm brewing this weekend so I'll update as soon as I can. This is my first own recipe. So sorry I guess I was a little eager to post it

Going into the secondary it looks and taste more like a porter than a brown ale. With 84% efficiency I hit OG of 1.062 and coming out of Primary at 1.014. So far the tasting notes are a woody almost smokey flavor and more like a porter. Maybe to lighten the color I should use a little less Chocolate malt?

This brew defiantly gets better with age... The smokey woody notes have mellowed and the maple has started to show through. The smokey/woody is up front and maple comes through on the back-end. The next time I brew this I'll probably cut the chocolate malt back to 0.25 lbs. Also make sure to use Grade B maple for more flavor.

I've found that it does take a bit of age before the maple really starts to shine through in a beer that has a lot of other malts in it. In a nice light cream ale, it comes through much faster, and I've become convinced that those are actually the best sorts of ales for maple syrup.

Latest posts

Back