Maple Brown Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

dhelegda

Reaction score
Ok so have chilled keg and tapped my Maple Brown Ale, I used about 12oz of pure maple syrup. It's got a great flavor but not a lot of maple could I heat some maple syrup and add some to the keg? Or would that cause problems?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

JoeSpartaNJ

Reaction score
Everything I have read suggests using double that amount of grade B maple syrup at flame out.

I plan on doing one in the fall.

What was your grain bill if you don't mind me asking?

OP
D

dhelegda

Reaction score
I don't do a very good job of keeping a journal of grains and hops. But this particular one was a Montana brown ale all grains kit I got online. It turned out really good just needs more maple flavor!

HumulusHead

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I haven't looked, but I bet there is some maple extract out there that you could add to the keg. I get that it wouldn't be as "authentic" but at this point it would be super easy to add a few drops to the keg until the taste is right and with such a small amount I wouldn't worry about infection issues.

Sent from myPhone

charliehorse

Reaction score
Remember that a bit more than 60% of Maple Syrup is sugar, which will ferment away. This is where the flavor lives. Since you're kegging, you could stop fermentation, add the syrup and force carbonate. A lot of folks use Potassium Sorbate to stop fermentation in wine... I don't see any reason not to use it in beer. Just make damned certain that your fermention is complete.