manifolds

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

what is your mash/tun manifold made from

• Copper

• braid

• PVC

• other

Results are only viewable after voting.
This is my first one, it's a copper manifold. I love it - I never get a stuck sparge and I've never had a problem with it.

I voted braid cause that is what I have, but...

I am considering trying a copper when I have some cash again. I have been having some issues with drainage in that I have alot of liquid left in there and I am not collecting as much as I need according to my recipe/software calculations. Though I may just try and reconfigure it to see if that helps.

I've been using braid, couldn't be easier to make...

BUT, I've got some extra copper kicking around. Now, I know this should go into a retirement account with the way prices have been going, but I've thought about building a simple manifold. Has anyone who has gone from braid to manifold noticed an improvement in their efficiency as a result?

the_bird said:
...Has anyone who has gone from braid to manifold noticed an improvement in their efficiency as a result?
The only real increase you get (which doesn't really amount to much) is you won't leave nearly as much wort in the tun. So you get an extra quart or so of wort which of course has sugars in it. Nothing major though.

See, I leave hardly any behind as it is (the Coleman Xtreme is perfect for homebrewing; the drain hole's at the bottom of a narrow channel). Maybe I'll save the copper.

the_bird said:
See, I leave hardly any behind as it is (the Coleman Xtreme is perfect for homebrewing; the drain hole's at the bottom of a narrow channel). Maybe I'll save the copper.
Sounds like you're in good shape unless you want to make it just because (not that there's anything wrong with that :D). My cooler just had a flat bottom so I left quite a lot of wort in my tun.

It's be nice to make so that I wouldn't have any long-term durability issues, but it's the same braid that I put together a year+ ago, so it's holding up fine.

I love my copper manifold. Never had a problem with a stuck sparge and nothing is left behind in the cooler. When I upgrade to a bigger cooler I'll make another one.

SS Braid for me.

Looking to make a manifold, have about half a gallon of dead space that I'd like to get rid of (1/2G dead space in my boiler as well so I think it's affecting my efficiency a little)

I made a PVC for my 70 Extreme, used 3/4 pvc and cut real thin slits with dremmel cut off wheel. Made it fit in the cooler tight to hold it togather and so i can stir like a mad man if i want to . Very happy with it.

2808511080101759406S500x500Q85.jpg

Back