Manifold trouble

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shwagger

Reaction score
I use a simple CPVC manifold with slits in it. I see to get a lot of stuck spargers with this set-up even if I use rice hulls.

I need a different manifold. What would be better?

I use a 20 gallon rectangular cooler

Not sure what the specific detail are on your manifold, a pic would help.

I had a copper one for my first manifold with a bunch of (5/64? I think but not sure) size holes drilled in it. Never had one stuck sparge with this manifold.

Build a new manifold for a new cooler and cut slits. I used the finest cutting wheel on the dremel tool and cut a bunch of slits. I thought I'd maybe get a finer filtration and maybe cleaner wort doing this. After three stuck batches I drilled holes (using the same bit I used for my first manifold) between the slits that I had previously cut. She runs like a champ now. Full speed and no stuck sparges. Wort is clear too.

So I would consider maybe using a slightly wider cutting wheel or just adding more drainage points to your current manifold. The added holes did it for me.

Thanks, I think I will build a better one with holes.

Also, would slipping a muslin back over the manifold help or hurt?

Not sure on the muslin bag never tried it.

You might not even have to rebuild your manifold. Try just adding some additional holes/slits and see if that works.

I had slits and then added holes afterwards. I'll post a picture of the beast if I can remember to.

Back