Manifold in E-Keggle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orangevango

Reaction score
Im in the process of making an E-keggle with a bottom drain, and need to make some way to stop the hops and hotbreak from coming through the spigot and into my plate chiller. Has anyone had any experince with a manifold or SS braid on the bottom of a BK? I would love to use a false bottom, but im not sure I could get one in under the element (not to mention that the hose that you normaly connect to your spiggot would be useless to me.) Could a copper manifold that comes apart for cleaning be my solution?

I put a long SS braid in the bottom of my BK (not an E-keggle, but same idea). It's basically a circle around the bottom of the BK. I whirlpool after flameout and the braid does a good job of leaving break/hops behind without - A: getting clogged and B: leaving too much wort behind.

Below is a hop filter which is the brainchild of Lil' Sparky. It works great! I think you will find that stainless braid will get stopped up real easy. I have also enclosed a video made by Bobby M on a DIY Stainless Steel Hop Stopper with lots of surface area so it won't clog so easily.

hop%20filter.jpg

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypBIcRE2cV8]YouTube - DIY Kettle Hop Filter - Brewing with Bobby M[/ame]

Back