Mangroves jack us west coast m44?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewnation

Reaction score
I brewed on Wednesday night. I pitched at about 11pm and wort was cooled to 70 degrees. OG was 1.067. It is now Saturday at 6pm and nothing is going on. Its in my basement that is 67 degrees. I keep it in the bathroom down there which may be a little cooler. I put a space heater in there a couple hours ago to warm it up a little to see if that helps. I pitched yeast straight from the packet

Yup, I had to start it up in the high 60s and then dial it back to 61 for the duration
The only time I have seen it take off was a friend's brew that he oxygenated with pure o2 and then pitched and it was off and running in about 8 hours.

I fermented for about 24 hrs then stopped. Not sure what's up. I check gavity and it is still a the OG. I'm going to pitch another package of yeast. Any ideas on what's up?

Did you use a refractometer to test the gravity?
Once alcohol is present, a refractometer reading is skewed.
If so then your gravity reading needs to be corrected using a correction factor.
Or test with a hydrometer.

I did use a refractometer. I will recheck it tonight with a hydrometer. I did taste the sample I pulled out and it was very sweet. I was going to pitch more yeast when I get home tonight. Do you think at this point I should try to aerate it again?

Hi Guys, I'm in NZ abnd have used the yeast almost exclusively on beers I'd normally use US-05 for.
My Observations.
Always re-hydrate your yeast, 100ml per packet of yeast. anything over 1.050 use two packets. this one liketo be overpitched.
I used it in a Porter recently, and it dried out 3 points more than US-05 so somethingto be aware of as well.
When I use this yeast, I ways overpitch and re-hydrate and its up and running within 12 hours, I never have a problem withthis yeast now
I've nailed the process forthis particular strain down.

always aerate your beer, I normally pick up my fermenter and shake just priorto pitching. around 30 seconds or so.

Back