Mangrove M27 belgian vs Safbrew S-33

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm about to brew a belgian pale ale with nelson and mouteka hops. Was going to use Wyeast Belgian Ardennes but just noticed my smack pack is almost a year old. I have both of these dry yeasts on hand but haven't used either. Anyone have strong opinions on what will produce a tastier, belgian-ier pale ale? I don't so much want a saison character, might end up adding brett to some or all of it. Thanks guys!

I used the mangrove on a batch that just went into the keg. It was an INSANELY fast start to fermentation. Legitimate air lock activity 4 hours after pitching. Fermented at 74. 1064 to 1006 in 4.5 days. Haven't tasted it yet, but it smells great.

Just did a gravity reading again now that its done and it finished at 1.001! I have never had a beer finish this low before, but it doesn't lack mouth feel at all. I really like this yeast.

My Belgian Ardennes actually did rise from the dead in a yeast starter after all. Glad to hear about the Mangrove, will probably try it in my next batch. I'm trying to move towards nearly all dry yeast now that the selection is better.

Perhaps a split batch experiment is in order, has anyone done this with those two strains?

Latest posts

Back