Mangrove Jacks M31 Tripel yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cnotts

Reaction score
Anybody got any experience with this yeast?

I was planning on harvesting some Westmalle yeast from a couple of bottles but i think they were pretty old so it didnt take off.

Is this a decent alternative or at all comparable? Can't get any WLP530 locally.

C

I had it to hand (inherited) so in the absence of another option, I've used it today in a classic tripel (82% pilsner, 3% aromatic, 15% sugar, boadicea and saaz to 30 IBU). Will rehydrate and pitch 2 packs - if anyone is interested I'll report back on how i find it.

On a semi-related note, I will have some fairly high gravity second runnings as a result of this brew (something like 10/15L of 1.040 OG) - any suggestions for another batch with the second runnings?

C

Yeh, i did see that when i searched to see if someone had an answer before i asked about it.

It talks about the fermentation a bit but doesnt really mention whether the end product is any good or not.

Anyway, I'll find out in a 2/3 months. FYI I am fermenting on the top end of the recommended temps for the yeast @25C - i love the esters & phenols in Tripels, trying to make it as spicy as possible.

For posterity @ in case anyone is interested.

Brewed this on 12th April, bottled it on the 27th and managed to resist cracking one open until today (18th May).

Got to say that the M31 yeast has performed excellently and has made a true to style tripel (I was aiming for Westmalle & although its not a clone, I dont think its all that far off). I started fermenting at 20c & gradually bumped to 26c over the course of 2 weeks, so I've got a lot of nice spicy esters & phenols coming through. The hot alcohol is still there a little so I'm hoping this will mellow with age but its I'll have to show some restraint to let it get to that stage!

c

For posterity @ in case anyone is interested.

Brewed this on 12th April, bottled it on the 27th and managed to resist cracking one open until today (18th May).

Got to say that the M31 yeast has performed excellently and has made a true to style tripel (I was aiming for Westmalle & although its not a clone, I dont think its all that far off). I started fermenting at 20c & gradually bumped to 26c over the course of 2 weeks, so I've got a lot of nice spicy esters & phenols coming through. The hot alcohol is still there a little so I'm hoping this will mellow with age but its I'll have to show some restraint to let it get to that stage!

c

This is something I had some great success with and will be using going forward:

Pitch cold (64F) and place Fermenter in water. This will provide thermal mass to dampen any temperature swings. I use a thermowell and stick my STC-1000 (used as a thermometer) probe in there to get actual beer temp.

Let it rise to wherever it wants to go. My basement stays in the 65F range so that, with the thermal mass of the water, provided me about 36 hours of temps between 64-65F before the temperature began to free rise. I peaked at around 73-74F right near terminal gravity.

I was using 3787 and I bottled with about 1 Bx of extract left. I sampled a bottle on Tuesday (10 days grain to glass) and although it was a bit green, the ester profile, etc. was right on point.

I brewed a Tripel 2 days ago using m31. The recipe is adapted from one on this website based on Tripel Karmeliet (one of my top 5 favourite beers). That recipe called for wlp500 but I used m31 (seeing as white labs yeast sets me back about $17nzd per packet opposed to $6 for MJ`s). The recipe is as follows:
5.5 Gallon Batch
10.5 LBs Dingmans Pilsner
2LBs Flaked Wheat
1LB Weyerman Wheat Malt
4oz Flaked Oats
4oz Oat Malt
4oz Flaked Barley
1LB Clear Candi Sugar (FO)

.5oz Styrian Goldings (90)
.5oz Styrian Goldings (45)
1oz Saaz (15)
1oz Saaz (5)

2 Star Anise (30 minutes left in boil) (by 2 I mean two stars, not ounces)
1.5oz fresh orange zest (5)
.5oz crushed coriander seeds (5)

Primary Yeast - White Labs 500
Carbing Yest - Salfale BE-256

Mash Steps:
110 Acid Rest (10 Minutes)
122 Protein Rest (15 minutes)
149 Beta Rest (30 Minutes)
158 Alpha Rest (30 Minutes)
172 Mash Out (10 Minutes)

The changes I made were using Gladfield malts (suitable substitutes) and pitching 2xpkts m31 hydrated. The yeast was expired by about 2 months so I was dubious of the activity but it has absolutely ripped through it. Non stop bubbling for the first 36hrs with big krausen and now has slowed to about 3 per minute and beginning to clear at the top.
One note was that I think I mashed with a bit too much water (expecting more evaporation from the 90min boil) and so ended up with an OG of 1.062. So I boiled a bit of the wort with 300g of liquid malt syrup and that brought the reading up to 1.070. Still lower than intended but if this yeast attenuates well, then it should still get to around 8%abv. I plan on letting it ferment out and then transferring to secondary to cellar for 3 weeks at 10℃ before bottling and conditioning for about a month, or until tasting good.
The wort had a nice flavour profile at pitching, hop bitterness reasonably low but a nice character from the spices and citrus. I will update with any news if anyone`s interested.
Cheers

Back