Mangrove Jack's Burton Union M79

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beezer94

Reaction score
Wondering if anyone else has had a chance to use this yet?

I made a little smash of british pale & galaxy. 8lbs pale, 0.25oz galaxy at 60 & 15 and 0.5oz at flameout (steeped for 20minutes). OG of 1.043 fg of 1.012.

I used Mangrove Jack's Burton Ale, unfortunately I wasn't able to be around for fermentation so it was in a constant 66F room. So I can safely assume fermentation got up about 70F max. It was a 4.1% ABV beer so once it got started it finished in a day. When I transferred it to the keg, it had crazy amounts of banana and was very very cloudy.

I have never had a clarity issue since going all-grain 25 or so batches ago. Now 1 week after kegging, stored at 38F it is just as cloudy. The beer now tastes exactly like Franzikaner Hefeweizen. There is no wheat, no hefe yeast, but if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, but it's not a duck...?
It almost seems that the package of Burton Ale yeast I used was actually their wheat yeast or...?

The beer is very good, but nothing like the little lawnmower SMaSH I intended. Wondering if anyone else got a chance to brew with this yeast yet?

I tried the M79 Burton yeast with an English Bitter of 1.042.

The fermentation was slightly slow to take off and the temperature reached no higher than 22C, ( actual temperature of fermenting wort ) after 7 days it had dropped to 1.008 and was cooled to 12C before racking to secondary. The beer was very cloudy indeed at this stage ( like pea soup! ) and held at 11C for a week with some hop pellets. Three days before kegging some auxiliary finings were added.

At kegging the beer was still very cloudy and took a couple of weeks to clear down in the keg.

An unpleasant yeasty flavour dominated the beer and completely overwhelmed the malt and hops whilst I also noted some banana notes and suspect some autolysis occurred.

I haven't ever used a yeast where the flocculation was so low except once with Windsor. The data sheet clearly states flocculation is 4/5 which in my interpretation means medium-high. I mainly use liquid yeasts from Brewlabs or Wyeast and on the odd occasion SO4, the latter I would rate a lot higher than the M79 Burton.

My beers usually are fairly clear at bottling / kegging and I've not had this particular problem before.

Another week in the keg at 38F and the banana is fading, but clove/spicy belgian flavors seem to be taking over. Still the cloudiest beer I've ever brewed, and not seeming to get even the slightest bit more clear with time.

You got me all worried about using this yeast. Seems like I should be planning a hefe with this yeast instead of an ESB :D

I look forward to hearing how your beer works itself out in the end (clarity and flavor). What you're describing is NOTHING like the description provided by Mangrove Jack.

You got me all worried about using this yeast. Seems like I should be planning a hefe with this yeast instead of an ESB :D

I look forward to hearing how your beer works itself out in the end (clarity and flavor). What you're describing is NOTHING like the description provided by Mangrove Jack.

I know i got some extra esters from the higher temps (still not english-y), but the apparent low flocculation of a "high" flocculation strain is pretty hard to understand.

Well the esters have mellowed. It lost most of the banana, moved towards belgian after a few weeks and now a month later it has a belgian/english character. Unfortunately it is still very cloudy. The beer is drinkable, but unbalanced. I cannot taste malt or hops at all, only yeast. Wish I had more time to brew, I rarely have both my kegs hooked up, so right now it's all I have on draft. Been drinking lots of craft brews to fill my hop requirements.

Great. Just used this yesterday. Didn't get as cool as I hoped, and pitched before realizing it was still 80 degrees. Have it in the basement in a swamp cooler with a fan on it. Read 68 degrees today with some slow bubbles coming. I may open it and take a whiff in a couple of days.

I had the cloudiness issues as well. I used finings a couple of days before racking and weeks later it hadn't cleared. Flavour was ok, but was just a tad tart.

22C seems very high indeed. I usually keep my ales at 64-66. Do you think the temp could have contributed to your problems?
Curious since I just picked up a pack for an upcoming ESB brew.

I don't think 22C is excessive, the yeast was pitched at 17C after re-hydration and 4 days later peaked at 22C. The data on their website states 18 - 23C as the ideal range so I don't think this was a problem. The beer now has now lost it's banana notes and is crystal clear but tastes very ordinary and slightly yeasty. Drinkable but wouldn't use it again. I still have some Newcastle MO3 yeast to try and would like to hear from anyone who has used it.

I brewed a mild with the Newcastle MO3 and I thought it was great. It attenuated around 70%, dropped well, and left that nice chewy maltiness behind. It didn't taste sweet or underattenuated, it was just right for the style. I'm curious for more feedback on people using it in other styles.

Just found this thread researching off flavors with this yeast... I'm getting the same kind of flavors, only there is a sharp tartness (not lactic sharp, but it's tart). Not using this one again... I did split the batch with 1968 which is tasting normal.... So I'm not sure what is wrong with this yeast. But alas, mangrove jack is off my radar except for the British yeast in the blue package

Back