Mangrove Jack's Bohemian Lager M84 Dry Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silver_Is_Money

Larry Sayre, Developer of 'Mash Made Easy'
Reaction score
I'd like to tackle a Bohemian Pilsner and I'm considering giving Mangrove Jack's Bohemian Lager M84 dry yeast a shot. Is there any feedback (positive, negative, or indifferent) from previous users out there for this yeast?

This is one of only a couple yeasts from them that I kinda liked. Fairly neutral and it flocked well. It is a slow starter. I highly recommend making a huge starter. First try I used 2 packs of yeast and it took a few days at 52f to show any sign of fermentation. If if using the fast turn around lager method give it an extra day or 2 before you start to ramp up the temp to finish off.

This is one of only a couple yeasts from them that I kinda liked. Fairly neutral and it flocked well. It is a slow starter. I highly recommend making a huge starter. First try I used 2 packs of yeast and it took a few days at 52f to show any sign of fermentation. If if using the fast turn around lager method give it an extra day or 2 before you start to ramp up the temp to finish off.

I thought I was going nuts. It took 3-4 days to show any signs for me.

Same here. I have 10 gallons (2 5gal batches, OG 1.043, 2 rehydrated packets into each batch) going with it right now and it took a week to see activity at 52 degrees. Once it did take off it went well and I started bumping up temp to rest at 62 over the next week. I hit the exact FG that brewers friend said I would (1.009) and starting dropping to lagering temps last night. Samples are tasty.

Just kegged the batch I spoke of. It tasted like roasted band aids. I probably will not be using this yeast again.

Out of curiosity, can you post a brief recipe and your temp schedule? I am still a few weeks from drinking my first brew with this yeast, but I haven't picked up any flavors like that in samples I tasted. I was planning on reusing the yeast, and I'd like to avoid whatever temps you used, haha.:tank:

I'm currently brewing a Pilsner with MJ M84 Bohemian Lager yeast. Simple recipe: 98% German Pilsner malt, 2% Acidulated Malt, 60 min boil, 22L (~6 gal) with OG 1.047. Pitched one re-hydrated pack @ 13°C (54F), using fridge as ferm chamber with Brewpi controller and Quick lager method. My observations 8 days post pitch:

1. Really slow start, 4 days to first airlock bubble. Now chugging steady.
2. Medium krausen, ~1 1/2 inch.
3. After 8 days gravity reading is 1.027. Starting to ramp up the temp from 13°C to 19°C (54F to 66F) by day 10.
4. Ferm chamber smells of peaches and cooked corn and has a discrete sulfur odor. Not bad, but hope it will clear up.

Will report back with the news.

I'm currently brewing a Pilsner with MJ M84 Bohemian Lager yeast. Simple recipe: 98% German Pilsner malt, 2% Acidulated Malt, 60 min boil, 22L (~6 gal) with OG 1.047. Pitched one re-hydrated pack @ 13°C (54F), using fridge as ferm chamber with Brewpi controller and Quick lager method. My observations 8 days post pitch:

3. After 8 days gravity reading is 1.027. Starting to ramp up the temp from 13°C to 19°C (54F to 66F) by day 10.
4. Ferm chamber smells of peaches and cooked corn and has a discrete sulfur odor. Not bad, but hope it will clear up.

News?

Had a bad experience with it. Same recipe and method used in other lagers, but with this yeast it under attenuated.

Just kegged the batch I spoke of. It tasted like roasted band aids. I probably will not be using this yeast again.

This isn't for Bohemian Lager yeast, but I used their California Lager yeast and fermented in their range -- 64*F to 68*F -- and my beer smelled like a can of turpentine...no sh*t. I was going to use this M84 because I got a free sample at HomebrewCon, but after this post, I think I'm going to throw it away.

Also, I've been brewing for 25 years and that is the very first batch I've ever had noticeable fusels on...and so much so we dubbed the beer "Instant Headache". :mad:

I was going to use this M84 because I got a free sample at HomebrewCon, but after this post, I think I'm going to throw it away.

I was literally just about to order some of this - it's just for a 1-gallon batch or two, so if it turns out bad, no big deal.

If you truly don't want that yeast, I'll take it off your hands. I could cover postage, or maybe trade for a recipe or two.

PM me, if interested, and thanks -

Ron

It's not always the yeast's fault if a beer has gone wrong.

However. If anyone has pure 02, try giving the MJ's a shot of that. I've had some slow MJ's before, and have only tried pure o2 once, and it acted like any other (non MJ) yeast with the o2. To me it seems like they don't have enough of sterols/lipids that kind of stuff "built in them", like for example yeast from Fermentis, giving them a slow start and maybe off flavours.

NEWS:

1. After additional two weeks in primary FG was 1.009 and I've bottled the batch. No rhino fart or any other nasty smell.
2. Beer conditioned for another 2 weeks at room temp and after that in a fridge for another week.
3. TASTING NOTES: Clean and classical lager taste with just enough sulphur on the nose to make it crisp but not overwhelming. Malts coming trough with discrete toasty and hay flavour.

OVERALL:

Good classical lager yeast that gives crisp and clean beer. Nothing special to report.

I have done 1 beer with MJ M84, and it was one of our best lagers yet. Just grabbed some form the LHBS to throw in a classic Czech Pils.

Back