Mango Wheat Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Garrett

Reaction score
I have been searching a lot on the forums and have not found a clear answer. Does anyone have a good Extract based Mango Wheat Recipe. Id love to brew this due to my love of mangos and refreshing wheats. Id love your help HBT!

Sorry I can't help, but I was just thinking of this exact same idea earlier today when I saw mango marmalade at the grocery store. Would also like to see if anyone has other ideas, I might try out the mango marmalade idea next time I feel like a little experimentation.

Garrett, I just got done with a mango wheat, turned out great! I brewed a Belgian Wheat and after primary fermentation was done I split it into two seperate carboys with about 2.5 gallons in each. In one I put a raspberry puree then added some raspberry extract before bottling. In the other I added 2 12oz bottles of Mango Juice. I used the "naked" brand since they add no sugars or preservatives. They both turned out fantastic although the mango could probably use a little more flavoring...

nrc1 said:
Garrett, I just got done with a mango wheat, turned out great! I brewed a Belgian Wheat and after primary fermentation was done I split it into two seperate carboys with about 2.5 gallons in each. In one I put a raspberry puree then added some raspberry extract before bottling. In the other I added 2 12oz bottles of Mango Juice. I used the "naked" brand since they add no sugars or preservatives. They both turned out fantastic although the mango could probably use a little more flavoring...

Which naked juice did you use? I noticed the only have a mango orange juice that contains banana purée in it.

Ok taking a complete shot in the dark here, but how about a recipe like this:

6lbs Wheat LME
.5oz Citra Hops 60min.
wyeast 1010 american wheat

ferment and rack to secondary with 6-7lbs of Mango chunks.
also maybe 1-2lbs of kiwi chucks as well for added flavor.

Brewpal says i would get an OG of 1.041 and FG of 1.010 leaving me with a 4.1% ABV, which i feel would be perfect for this style. I have heard a lot about citra hops adding mango essence to the beer which sounds like it would be a great bittering hop.

what do you guys think?

ok overall do you think this would work out ok? maybe i should decrease the LME by a pound?
Figuring how much fermentables is tricky. If you're trying to keep it near "session" abv, i.e., ~4%, maybe a pound less LME is about right, but to be honest, I'm guessing. Best bet would be to look up the average sugar content of those fruits and work out how much sugar to "add" in BeerSmith (or whatever) to get a good ballpark number.

OK, I decided to do a bit of research since I've been thinking od doing a mango beer this spring myself. This site says raw mangoes have 24g sugar per 165g serving. That's 14.5% sugar. As I understand it, fruits in general contain sucrose, fructose and glucose, with few other sugars meaning you can consider it all fermentable (someone correct me on that or point me to a source with specific breakdowns for various fruits). So 7 lbs of mangoes will yield 1 lb of fermentable sugar.

Raw kiwi has 16g sugar per 177g serving = 9% sugar. Meaning 2lbs kiwi will add 0.18 lbs sugar.

So going in BeerSmith and adding 6lbs wheat LME and 1.18 lbs sucrose (with WY1010) I get an est ABV of 5.62%. Decrease the LME to 5lbs and we get 4.85%; might be okay, but for a true light session beer, maybe bring it down to 4 lbs and you get 4.08%. Of course these are only estimates and getting real numbers without sending your beer to a lab is pretty much impossible.

Be aware that this beer is getting 23% of it's fermentables from fruit. Which basically means it's 23% wine. Nothing wrong with that, but just wondering if some off-flavors might need to age-out like some wines... only one way to find out!

I used the mighty mango... haven't tried using fresh fruit yet, I'm only 5 batches in though so it'll happen soon!

OK, I decided to do a bit of research since I've been thinking od doing a mango beer this spring myself. This site says raw mangoes have 24g sugar per 165g serving. That's 14.5% sugar. As I understand it, fruits in general contain sucrose, fructose and glucose, with few other sugars meaning you can consider it all fermentable (someone correct me on that or point me to a source with specific breakdowns for various fruits). So 7 lbs of mangoes will yield 1 lb of fermentable sugar.

Raw kiwi has 16g sugar per 177g serving = 9% sugar. Meaning 2lbs kiwi will add 0.18 lbs sugar.

So going in BeerSmith and adding 6lbs wheat LME and 1.18 lbs sucrose (with WY1010) I get an est ABV of 5.62%. Decrease the LME to 5lbs and we get 4.85%; might be okay, but for a true light session beer, maybe bring it down to 4 lbs and you get 4.08%. Of course these are only estimates and getting real numbers without sending your beer to a lab is pretty much impossible.

Be aware that this beer is getting 23% of it's fermentables from fruit. Which basically means it's 23% wine. Nothing wrong with that, but just wondering if some off-flavors might need to age-out like some wines... only one way to find out!

Wow, that is a lot to take in, haha. Thank you for all the helpful advice. Im thinking maybe about cutting down on mangos, but i worry that since they are such a delicate fruit i will loss a lot of flavor if i dont not use 6-7lbs. I here using mango puree works great, but something about it kills head retention, which i definitely do not want.

In Designing Great Beers Ray Daniels says mango is a mild flavor that is difficult to assert in beer. And "Mild fruits generally require greater quantities to achieve the desired effect, in the range from 1.6 pounds per gallon to 2.0 pounds per gallon." So I don;t think your 7 lbs is excessive. Consider that brewers commonly use 1 lb per gallon of raspberries, which he considers an assertive fruit.

Sounds good, well I will go ahead and try this recipe out this weekend or next. Ill keep you updated on the process. Also i was thinking of possibly using passion fruit instead of kiwi. ill see what prices are like and what i can get my hands on.

Passionfruit is also on my list to try. Kona brewery's Wailua Wheat is made with passionfruit. It's a very tasty beer! I don't know anything about how they use it, whether it's juice or zest or whatever. I've looked for passionfruit when I hit the Asian markets lately, but haven't seen any - it is a seasonal fruit?

Passionfruit is also on my list to try. Kona brewery's Wailua Wheat is made with passionfruit. It's a very tasty beer! I don't know anything about how they use it, whether it's juice or zest or whatever. I've looked for passionfruit when I hit the Asian markets lately, but haven't seen any - it is a seasonal fruit?

Zest from passionfruit doesn't taste anything, not like orange, lime or lemons, so you gotta blend the pulp/seeds in water, then strain. It yield a very strong juice.
There are different varieties of passionfruit. Some are sweet and yield mild favors. Some are sour and strong and these I think would be the best to use.

Quick update! Started brewing this over the weekend. Got a base wheat going right now with OG of 1.040. I bought some south american mangoes "sweet mangoes" from the local farmers market, im not sure on the actual name but they tasted great and i was able to get 32 of them for $12. Which turned into just about 7lbs of cut up fruit. I froze the fruit to help break up the membranes when i thaw out and i was told by the lhbs to add some pectic enzyme and campden tablets to the fruit before racking beer onto it in secondary. Any advice on the best method of doing this?

Finished this beer, kegged it. Its nice sweet wheat, very sessionable. Not really much mango flavor or aroma to it.

Back