Mango Saison Learning curve

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

opXus

Reaction score
So I brewed a Saison about 3 weeks ago, and today I added the mango that I planned on adding. Well I always ferment for 4 weeks in a carboy. Well for some reason I thought the opening on the carboy was larger than it actually is.

Hopefully this beer turns out alright as I was forcing numerous pieces of FROZEN mango through the top of the carboy. Lesson learned! If you plan on making a beer similar to this and its lower alcohol, use a bucket!

:mug: :drunk:
Cheers,

opXus

wow a mango saison sounds pretty awesome. Please report back how it turns out. I need to brew a fruit beer for a club competition in September. It's still pretty hot here in Sept so I could ferment it in the garage.
You got a recipe?

wow a mango saison sounds pretty awesome. Please report back how it turns out. I need to brew a fruit beer for a club competition in September. It's still pretty hot here in Sept so I could ferment it in the garage.
You got a recipe?

5 Gallon Batch

11 Lbs 2 Row
1 Lbs White Wheat
1 Lbs Vienna

1 oz E. Kent @ 60 min
1 oz E. Kent @ 30 min
1 oz French Strisslspalt @ 0 min

Wyeast 3711 - French Saison

3.9 Lbs Frozen Mango added to Primary (i only use primary) after 3 weeks.

Thats most of the info I have as of now. Hopefully turns out pretty well. Hoping no infection or oxygenation due to the mango addition today.

5 Gallon Batch

11 Lbs 2 Row
1 Lbs White Wheat
1 Lbs Vienna

1 oz E. Kent @ 60 min
1 oz E. Kent @ 30 min
1 oz French Strisslspalt @ 0 min

Wyeast 3711 - French Saison

3.9 Lbs Frozen Mango added to Primary (i only use primary) after 3 weeks.

Thats most of the info I have as of now. Hopefully turns out pretty well. Hoping no infection or oxygenation due to the mango addition today.

thanks! Hope all goes well. Let us know!

Yeah, I use a bucket for all my IPAs and anything I'll be adding stuff too. I can do a few ozs of dry hops for a saison in a carboy, but boy and I glad I used a bucket for my cucumber mint saison

I use the carboy so that I can see whats going on inside. Its fun to watch. Also, I like to use a large blowoff tube to prevent any possible issues with clogging the airlock. Came in very handy when I made my tripel. :rockin:

Is there a reason not to macerate the mango first?
I'd think it would significantly increase the extract of all that mango goodness...

Cheers!

Is there a reason not to macerate the mango first?
I'd think it would significantly increase the extract of all that mango goodness...

Cheers!

No reason in particular. I looked around different threads etc, and just found different points of view. I THOUGHT this would be the easiest way, however like stated I did not realize the mouth of my carboy was quite as small as it was, or conversely that the chunks of mango would be quite as large. Figured the mango would more or less breakdown over time and basically the goodness would work its way free.

So I forgot about this thread for a bit. After 6 weeks in the fermenter, with 2 of those being on the mango, I transferred to corny keg. This is my first kegging experience since I built my keezer. Added 70 grams of corn sugar and let sit for 1.5 weeks. Got impatient and put in keezer. DELICIOUS! Very dry as the FG was 1.002. Great flavor. Has a sweet note up front, doubt I would ever guess its mango, but still delicious.

Back