Mango Habanero Beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CharlieM

Reaction score
Last weekend, at a local winery, I tried this combination in a cider and WOW! Not too sweet, just right amount of mango, and on the back end you got just enough of the pepper to enjoy it. Talking to the chief wine / cider maker, he told me he used 3 habanero' sore 5 gal, putting them at the end of boil.

Wile I'd like to duplicate the cider, I'm also thinking a Pilsner or wheat beer with this combination would be pretty cool. So I'm just curious for any thoughts / ideas on it. Canned purée? Fresh mangos in a food processor? Pilsner, wheat, maybe a ale? Other pepper suggestion / combos?
( banana pepper comes to mind!)

Cheers !

One of the local breweries here makes a Mango Habanero Blond Als that is excellent......blonde ales are not one of my preferred styles, but that combo in this blonde ale is great. Really sweet, ripe fresh mangoes would be my first choice, but may be difficult to get this time of year.

I've done it successfully in an amber ale base. I'd need to check my notes but I believe I put 5 pounds frozen chopped mangoes into the secondary along with 1 habanero cut up and soaked in a shot of vodka for a day or so (vodka went in with it). I also used citra hops for flavoring which brought out the mango flavor a bit more. Still everyone's favorite beer that I've made so far.

I did one a few months ago using a standard wheat beer base and WLP320 fermented cool (64*F) to control the esters.

6 gallons of beer onto 7# of chopped mango in secondary for 10 days, racked onto 10 quartered Habañeros in the keg for about 6 hours. 2 months later there is still a nice heat without being hot.

Just drank a bottle of Mango Habanero IPA I made last month and it was dee-licious! I made a tincture of habaneros soaked in vodka to control the heat along with some natural mango extract. Adding habaneros to the boil or fermentation can be a crap shoot as their heat can vary greatly based on where/when they were grown.

Hopped the wort to 55 IBU and mashed around 158F for some extra body and sweetness. Half the grain bill was wheat and the other half pale ale malt. The best part about drinking it is the heat slowly builds as you sip , but never makes you sweat. I'll be making another batch in the summer.

Crankers Brewery in Big Rapids, MI once made a Mango Habanero IPA. Between that and AZ from this forum I was encouraged to try making something myself.

I omitted the mango and went with fruity hops; Citra and Nelson Sauvin.

I used a total of 6 GRAMS of habanero in 5 gallons and it was just right for a little heat in the back end. I thought the beer turned out great, but I poured pretty much all of it at a beer festival so I didn't actually get to drink that much of it. People that were afraid of the "habanero IPA" but tried it really seemed to like it.

Back