mango cider?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edb23

Reaction score
How could i pull this one off? i can get cases of ten mangos for six dollars at the indian market near me

That does look cool, but i was hoping to just throw maybe ten pounds of pureed mango and some brown sugar and water in a fermenter. would that be something that works?

^^^I started something similar to this on March 3, 2011, with some mangos I threw in the blender.

My plan was to use the C-ville Kevin method with ale yeast and cold crashing to produce something semi-sweet. This has worked VERY WELL for me with store bought apple juice. I planned to stop it somewhere between 1025 and 1008 specific gravity.

However, on my mango concoction, I accidentally let it ferment out bone dry. So, I just left it in the fermenter (after several rackings along the way to get it off the fairly large mass of pulp debris). Five days ago, I racked it again and tasted a tiny bit. It did not taste great. I don't really know how to describe the taste....there weren't any really strong distinguishing flavors or anything. It just wasn't great.

I'm sure people have done something similar with much greater success. Maybe you could just catch it before all the sugar is fermented out, and it would taste great. But, if I was looking for a more foolproof method, I would probably go with the mango pulp wine. It looks like people are having really good luck with that.

Tap, if you're looking for some more mango taste I would suggest stabilising then using a muslin bag to suspend some mango in the wine. (that way you won't get any/as much clouding and pulp)

Edb, that is essentially what the mango pulp wine is. All you would have to do is turn the mango into a pulp. Also, I would use a muslin bag to stop some of the sediment, that wine is notorius for loss due to lees.

Back