Mandarin Mead Take 2: Orange Blossom Honey Boogaloo

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkuhl

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So my last venture in mandarin mead ended up with just an acidic jar of fermented honey. No orange flavor whatsoever.

I've decided I'm going to reattempt the whole thing. First, a hydromel traditional as a primary, with plenty of orange zest. Something like 1.050-1.040 O.G. for a 5% final product. And I was thinking of adding mandarin oranges to secondary, after primary shoots below 1.000.

My question is, how to I get a good orange flavor from the mandarins without the yeast eating them up? Since most yeast go to ~15%, even if primary goes dry, the addition of mandarins will cause fermentation to kick off again. The only thing I can think of, is investing in a mini-keg, treating the mead with sulfites, or pasteurizing, then, adding the mandarins and carbing in a keg. But is there a way to bottle carb and get a mandarin flavor out of the oranges without the yeast eating the oranges and leaving just a nasty acid residue?

So my last venture in mandarin mead ended up with just an acidic jar of fermented honey. No orange flavor whatsoever.

I've decided I'm going to reattempt the whole thing. First, a hydromel traditional as a primary, with plenty of orange zest. Something like 1.050-1.040 O.G. for a 5% final product. And I was thinking of adding mandarin oranges to secondary, after primary shoots below 1.000.

My question is, how to I get a good orange flavor from the mandarins without the yeast eating them up? Since most yeast go to ~15%, even if primary goes dry, the addition of mandarins will cause fermentation to kick off again. The only thing I can think of, is investing in a mini-keg, treating the mead with sulfites, or pasteurizing, then, adding the mandarins and carbing in a keg. But is there a way to bottle carb and get a mandarin flavor out of the oranges without the yeast eating the oranges and leaving just a nasty acid residue?
I can't speak about bottle/keg carbing, but, as far as the orange flavor, I would suggest more zest, (without pith) or you could look into freeze dried zest, (usually in the spice aisle). Also, there are several yeasts that don't go to the 15% mark. I believe 71B is good for about 12%. But, if you're that concerned about abv%, try using less honey & stabilizing @ the end, (when it goes dry, 1.000 or below), cold crash & re-rack before adding anything else. That's all I got. Wish it could be more.
I hope this helps you.
Happy meading 😎

I would try adding orange zest after the fermentation is complete. The zest contains very little sugar, so there wouldn't be a lot of renewed fermentation.

Back