managing pests

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BierGut

Reaction score
This is my first year growing hops and today I noticed microscopic insects eating the leaves. They're white-ish /yellow-ish in color. Thankfully they haven't done too much damage yet but the plants are young and I'd like to keep the pests away as much as possible.

Anyone know what kind of bugs these are and how to keep them off my hops?

A picture would help ! :)

If they are under the leaves, probably spider mites. They are really small. But they usually appears in the summer.

I'll post a pick tomorrow when it's daylight. Didn't think to check the underside of the leaves because I'd seen them on top of the leaves. these guys were really small. Like grains of sand or even smaller. I was only able to see them because I noticed leaf damage and really looked close.

Here's a pic of the tiny yellow bugs. What are some common pests and how do you deal with them?

hops.JPG

Definitely yellow aphids after looking them up.

Has anyone ever sprayed their hops with the water/dish soap/cayenne solution to combat aphids?

I don't believe hops are phytotoxic so an insecticidal spray should be fine, but you may also want to just spray the hops with a firm/strong jet of water from your hose to knock them off. They can't generally get back to the plant once they've been knocked off. You may also want to sprinkle some diatemaceous(sp?) earth on the ground around the bines so that they (and ants) cannot get them back on your plants from the ground.

Get some Neem oil and mix it with soap and water and spray the leaves down with it. Maybe try the water and soap first and then bring on the Neem if that doesn't work.

Simple natural soap/water mix works great on aphids. Dries the little @&$%# up! I used it all last season with great success. Just two tablespoons per your average spray bottle. Just be conscious of not spraying in full sun.

oh great thanks. I'll look for the diatomaceous stuff too because I noticed ants yesterday in one of the hop beds.

Could try lady bugs or mantis if you don't want to spray, but I think lady bugs would be the best bet for those small aphids.

oh great thanks. I'll look for the diatomaceous stuff too because I noticed ants yesterday in one of the hop beds.

Ants and aphids create a symbiotic relationship. The ants with excellent mobility will literally carry the aphids (poor mobility) to their plant hosts so that the aphids will suck the sap and poop their "honeydew" (i.e. sugary excrement) which the ants will then consume as a food source. Win-win! No kidding!

Back